#46407  by letting_it_grow

hello there! i am new to the rukind forums, and somewhat new to the dead. sadly, i was never able to attend any shows, seeing as i was too young at the time to even know who the gd were. but i am ready to learn!

at this time, i only have a few shows. most are from the early eighties, and a few are from 73, 74. the eighties shows are my favorite, and i was wondering if anyone might recommend a few for me to check out. please list any shows from other eras too if u feel i would really enjoy them :smile:

i acquired these shows via torrent downloading. i have no idea if this is the preferred method, so any advice would be wonderful.

thanks for the help

#46409  by weirimpressed

whats going on Grow.

you can check out archive.org for a huge variety of shows. Look for some spring 77 shows, those are always fun to listen to

#46418  by CountryMile Cadillac

The first time I can remember hearing the Dead was steeling some of my sisters LP's and listening to American Beauty, and while listening be confused as to wether the cover said American Beauty ar American Reality. To be a young man again.....

I never gave that album back, and still listen to the same copy today, as a matter of fact I think I'll go put the needle down right now

#46429  by tigerstrat

how about 8/23/68 for starters, followed by 3/25/66.

#46438  by jeffm725

I have been wearing out the 80's (mostly hometown)shows lately

5/12/81
4/17/82 (Ola' Bah-Bee!!)
7/31/82
4/23/83 (wicked scarlet fire)
10/15/83 (best of the 3 October 83 Stephens, also one of my favorite spaces ever)
6/24/84 - Saratoga madness
10/9/84 (the return of smokestack, jack straw in the middle of set 2)
10/14/84 (Longest non new years show of the 80's-90's)
3/31/85 - Inverted Playin' - Day tripper
6/30/85 - THE shakedown
3/20/86 - box of Breakout

I'll stop there and do the rest of the 80's tomorrow

#46439  by letting_it_grow

thank you for the quick replies! i will definitely check out all of these shows, and im looking at archive right now; should keep me busy for a few days at least :-)

have a wonderful day all

#46442  by prephippie

Since you know how to download torrents, you can get as much GD as you can listen to. Here's a good site:
http://bt.etree.org/index.php?searchs&c ... rt=seeders

Then there's http://www.shnflac.net
I don't know if registration is closed right now or not, but that's the mother load. I have almost the whole year of '77 in soundboard because of that site.

As for good 80's shows, the September and October run in 1980 had acoustic sets that I really like. I'm kinda partial to the stuff from about 1970-78. From that era you should check out: 2/11/70, 8/6/71, 8/27/72, and 5/8/77.

#46443  by bucketorain

OMG, all I have to say is good luck and happy listening...back when I and most of us 1st started we didn't have resourses like this and the internet to find shows.

below is some of my personal favorites.

1969 any Avalon Ballroom or Filmore West
4/21,22,23/69 The Ark, Boston MA

4/29/71 filmore east ny
4/17/71 Dillon Gym Princeton Univ. ***during the Good Lovin Rap, pig pen buys the Brooklyn bridge for $1.25. Priceless!!!! a must have!!

4/18/71 Lusk Field House SUNY Cortland NY

5/26/73 Kezar Stadium San Fran
6/22/73 P.N.E Col Vancouver BC

8/13/75 Great American Music Hall San Fran
9/28/75 Lindley Meadows Golden Gate Park
**they only played 4 shows in 1975

1977 well, any date as stated before from April is pretty dam good listening

8/10/82 Field House University Of Iowa
4/19/82 Baltimore Civic Center...**a must have..phil speaks the Raven by Edgar Allan Poe.

10/17/84 Brendan Byrne Arean East Rutherford NJ

10/12/89 and 10/16/89 Bredan Byrne.

***on that note, pretty much every thing from 89 was solid.

3/28,29,30/90 Nassau Col. Uniondale NY A solid run. 1st time the played The Weight.

7/12/90 RFK Stadium Wash DC
7/16/90 Rich Stadium Orchard Park NY

After that well....it was pretty much down hill from there...a few shining moments but they lost a boat load of steam after Brent passed...

check out this site as well. http://www.deadlists.com/default.asp

It has the complete show listing and a great internat search vehicle to find what you are looking for...

Again, good luck and happy hunting...

And so you know...the obsession only gets worse from here....

#46446  by letting_it_grow

wow bucket, thanks for that list thats great (and the warning as well, i thought so).

and jeff, those are some great shows! i had to go with 10/15/83 first, i am a slut for any good st. stevie. glad to hear dire wolf too. and if i am not mistaken, i think that was the first dead show trey anastasio attended, if there are any phans out there.

#46450  by causebass

just wanted to welcome you to a world that starts with the Grateful Dead and all the hours of amazing music to discover...but it will lead down so many roads..the best in blues, jazz, bluegrass, classical...and then back to the GD and there will be nothing left to do but smile, smile , smile

david

www.theCAUSEjams.com

#46603  by letting_it_grow

thanks cause! btw, listened to a couple of your band's tunes, and u guys are great! i especially enjoyed the doin that rag with the intro from rift, excellent work 8)

and im in love with archive.org
downloaded sooo many shows. i am considering buying an external hard drive for all my shows now.

#46732  by owL

Few shows ive been listening to lately

2-24-68 (dicks picks 22) Alligator>China Cat Sunflower>The Eleven>Alligator>Caution>Feedback :shock:
2/27 - 3/2/1969 :smile:

4-21-69 Whole show is good, nice sounding recording.

1-2-70 Darkstar :shock: :shock:

9-19-70 Darkstar>St. Stephen, Not Fade Away>Darkness Jam>China Cat Jam>Not Fade Away>Lovelight 8)

11-8-70 Solid show, Truckin'>Darkstar>The Main Ten>Dancin' Jam>Dancin' in the Streets

8-21-72 All Good!

8-27-72 All Gooooood Darkstar

4-2-73 Here Comes Sunshine~~~~~~~~>Me and Bobby Mcgee>WRS Prelude>Eyes of the World>China Doll :shock:

11-21-73 Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo>Playing In The Band>El Paso>Playing In The Band>Wharf Rat Jam>Dark Star Jam>Wharf Rat>Playing In The Band>Morning Dew :shock: :shock: :shock:

2-24-74 Whole show is good

6-16-74 I may be biased because this show was one of the few in my state, but its a really solid show.

6-18-74 WRS Prelude & Part 1>Let It Grow~~~~~~>The Other One~~~~~~~~~~>I Know Its a Sin Jam>Stella Blue :smile: The Grateful Dead

5-4-77 Good show

This should keep you busy for a while :-)

#46741  by tigerstrat

6-18-74 WRS Prelude & Part 1>Let It Grow~~~~~~>The Other One~~~~~~~~~~>I Know Its a Sin Jam>Stella Blue
That's definitely the highlight sequence of that show; it really is one hell of a jam and very much worth acquiring. Other than that, the show is slightly overrated (or over-cited due to wide circulation) in 1974 terms... the Eyes for example is not one of the best of the best imho. 6/16 has that interesting Eyes> Big River segue.

Overall though, a good set of recommendations.

I suppose I should add a few:

6/27/83 esp the S>F and the monstrous, uncannily miraculous Space> Other One...

2/15/69 Philly... primal gonzo greatness to EASILY rival the subsequent legendary Fillmore West run. It's a Bear cassette SBD master (iirc) but very good quality for a 60's show.

6/24/73 the Dark Star> Eyes is absolutely EPIC, and the Eyes end-jam jumps the tracks in a VERY pleasingly funky fashion.

#46785  by sarraqum

1973-12-06 - A must have, in my opinion. The most epic Dark Star you'd ever hear.

#46788  by jeffm725

12/6/73 is a good call....

Dark Star is epic, for sure.....However, What I really like about this show Is the Greatest Story, it is the version I measure all others by