rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#43204  by CountryMile Cadillac
 Tue May 06, 2008 6:28 am
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:if u've never heard of the grateful dead and u listend to Ratdog, i'll bet most all would'nt like it.

This is an asinine statment, who has never heard of the Grateful Dead...

#43205  by Tennessee Jedi
 Tue May 06, 2008 6:33 am
Anyone know why Bob picked RATDOG as the name of his band ?
Its weird.
?
:smile:

#43228  by spilly
 Tue May 06, 2008 8:38 am
Q- "is it a rat or a dog?"
A- "I don't know, but it sure is ugly"

#43260  by warrenMFKNhaynes
 Tue May 06, 2008 4:06 pm
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
This is an asinine statment, who has never heard of the Grateful Dead...
thats hypothetical.

#43262  by willmusic
 Tue May 06, 2008 4:25 pm
And on and on...forrevvv-ver.

#43263  by warrenMFKNhaynes
 Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 pm
people get way too ofended by someones opinion

#43267  by mttourpro
 Tue May 06, 2008 5:30 pm
Why did Bob pick the name Ratdog??

I've heard that he picked the name because the GD were the "Big Dog" and his band was just a little bitty "ratdog"---like a little Paris Hilton dog.

I believe it's original incarnation was called Ratdog Review. I saw that on 96 Further tour with Johnnie Johnson on keys and Bruce Hornsby's drummer or sax guy (or both) prior to his death and then Vince took over til he was released.

The first incarnation was ok but it's definitely come a long way since then.

#43280  by weirimpressed
 Tue May 06, 2008 8:09 pm
some nights I definitely fiend some jazz-out, wet and dirty ratdog grateful dead tunes, but other times, I dig the rockin blues'd-out phil shows, either way they both do a great interpretation of the dead, it just matters what youre looking for...

#43530  by Ender
 Fri May 09, 2008 10:00 am
weirimpressed wrote:some nights I definitely fiend some jazz-out, wet and dirty ratdog grateful dead tunes, but other times, I dig the rockin blues'd-out phil shows, either way they both do a great interpretation of the dead, it just matters what youre looking for...

couldent have said it anybetter myself. Some of the ratdog arrangements for gd songs are awsome. Terrapin being one of them. That sax is just sooo smooth on lady with a fan.

#51148  by LittleJerry
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:18 pm
bucketorain wrote:Bobby singing Jerry's songs is purely him showing his love an devotion to Jerry's work. Bobby misses Jerry very much and what better way to express how much you miss and love someone.

very well said. I think bobby does a great job on terrapin especially 6/24/2000 gathering of the vibes i think hmm heres the setlist

6/24/2000 Gathering of the Vibes, Bridgeport, CT
Bass* > Jam > Jack Straw > Bird Song > K.C. Moan, Friend of the Devil, Odessa > October Queen > The Deep End > Even So > The Other One Jam > Spanish Jam* > The Other One* > Lady with a Fan > Terrapin > Bird Song Jam > Corrina
E: Bass* > Bird Song > One More Saturday Night
*-with Les Claypool (Bass)

#51151  by LittleJerry
 Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm
mttourpro wrote:Why did Bob pick the name Ratdog??

I've heard that he picked the name because the GD were the "Big Dog" and his band was just a little bitty "ratdog"---like a little Paris Hilton dog.

I believe it's original incarnation was called Ratdog Review. I saw that on 96 Further tour with Johnnie Johnson on keys and Bruce Hornsby's drummer or sax guy (or both) prior to his death and then Vince took over til he was released.

The first incarnation was ok but it's definitely come a long way since then.

It had to do w rob wasserman and bobby's chinese zodiac-- the rat and the dog

#51203  by CaptainTrips
 Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:20 am
Lets face it our beloved Bobby is getting older. Cut the man some slack. He's aged gracefully but he has still aged.