#134089  by Dozin

Bar none!

Just a quick comment about Volume 8

Dave's first Matrix recording. Fox Theater, Atlanta Ga 11/30/80

As soon as I put the cd in my truck (which has a kick ass system) the fans started screaming and I was like wow the audience is really loud. The band bust into a nice Feel Like a Stranger opener. I crapped my pants that the crowd was still audible and the music was crystal clear. I must say, this is how a Dead show sounds like. I only listen to Stranger, Loser and Cassidy. I'm excited to bust out the axe tonight and play along to this one.

cool!
 #134101  by jester536

I've listened to the whole thing. the wife was out last Saturday morning so I cranked up the Drums Space sequence...she likes the Dead but she has her limits! I'm with you...the sound is really amazing...These things started out sounding great but it stands to reason that they would just get better at them. Volume 9 is Missoula, Montana...only Montana show ...it will be a must purchase for me.
 #134110  by rugger

Dozin wrote:Bar none!

Just a quick comment about Volume 8

Dave's first Matrix recording. Fox Theater, Atlanta Ga 11/30/80

As soon as I put the cd in my truck (which has a kick ass system) the fans started screaming and I was like wow the audience is really loud. The band bust into a nice Feel Like a Stranger opener. I crapped my pants that the crowd was still audible and the music was crystal clear. I must say, this is how a Dead show sounds like. I only listen to Stranger, Loser and Cassidy. I'm excited to bust out the axe tonight and play along to this one.

cool!
I recently ran across a matrix show on the archive from 7/16/76 and I was surprised, like you, by the high level of the audience combined with the pristine soundboard of the band. It looks like they are doing a 50/50 mix aud/sdbd with these. It's really great to hear the audience clapping along to the music. It really puts you there so to speak.

So it looks like Dave's Picks Vol. 8 is sold out. Do they release these digitally?

John in San Diego
 #134111  by jester536

They've got to get this figured out. They sell out very quickly...but there are apparently a large number bought strictly for resale on eBay at a much higher price. There are some dirt bags out there making money off of Dave's Picks and screwing true fans. Don't know what the solution is.
 #134114  by James-T

It's a sweet release. That era had some spectacular shows, albeit they were usually one out of 6 or 7 or so shows. That's what got you hooked on touring, searching for that magical one!

Peace, :smile:

James
 #134139  by Dozin

I'm really impressed with the vocals on this recording. You can just about hear them breathing into the mics. The drums and bass sound phenomenal too.
 #134146  by James-T

Listening to this thing in became apparent the need for a matrix mix. There's a brutal cut after The Wheel where the board tape drops out. I have to say I've heard better audience tapes. They made pretty good hype about the Matrix recording to offload a flawed SBD recording. There's another Dave's picks just like that from 74. They must be hitting the bottom of full un-flawed SBD's.

Still its a great show and good quality! :smile:

Peace,

James