Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #114255  by tcsned

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a MC2100 or and MC250 - if you've got one in good working order and want to sell it, let me know. I'm not picky about cosmetics. I'm looking on eBay but I'd rather get one from the community.

Thanks!
 #114268  by JonnyBoy

Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!
 #114269  by mijknahs

JonnyBoy wrote:Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!
+1

Yeah, the MC2100 is pretty heavy. Plus you're lugging around an extra channel that you probably won't need. The MC100 is ideal but super rare. MC250 is definitely more available.
 #114296  by tcsned

Thanks, I forgot about the MC100. The Mosvalve is pretty decent but I initially got that as a backup. The search continues . . .
 #114298  by mijknahs

I have a MosValve 962 also but not very interested in using it unless my other amps are in for repairs or something. Actually just the Twin Reverb with good tubes can sound pretty awesome but the McIntosh is still fuller though.
 #114300  by TRG

JonnyBoy wrote:Really try and scour the Earth for an MC100. I think you will be happiest with that. A MC2100 is basically 2 MC100's but much more weight. An MC250 will suffice too, but if you find you need more wattage from bridge/mono, you'll have to rewire the speaker terminal on stage. I preferred to run it in stereo 50 watts per speaker and it was pretty loud, but I could see me needing a little more outdoors. I know I have enough no matter what with the MC100 though.... Good luck!!
Aren't you getting the same wattage to 2 speakers if you run the MC250 in stereo (1 channel/speaker) as you would if you bridged mono and had both speakers wired in parallel and hooked up to the mono? Or were you just referring to if you were using only 1 speaker on the MC250?
 #114345  by JonnyBoy

TRG wrote:
Aren't you getting the same wattage to 2 speakers if you run the MC250 in stereo (1 channel/speaker) as you would if you bridged mono and had both speakers wired in parallel and hooked up to the mono? Or were you just referring to if you were using only 1 speaker on the MC250?

Yes but no. You can individually power each speaker which is nice. So, you can crank the top speaker that isn't mic'd for stage volume and turn down the speaker that is going to the board, or vise versa. I think you can get a little "louder" hooking both into parallel and going bridged, but it still is debatable. I think the signal in the amp has a little more headroom and the speakers in parallel drops the ohm rating to give you a little power boost, even though there is an autoformer that is supposed to give you an even signal depending on the tap you choose... I still think you can get more headroom going bridged mono. I haven't used my MC250 in a long while though, I have been using my MC100 when I use my mac setup, so I don't really remember.
 #114365  by bluemule

I have a MC250. At 100 watts bridged mono it can get very loud. Very easy to change the speaker load and to wire in stereo or mono. There are .pdf manuals online if you end up with a Mac without one. Good luck in your search.
 #114396  by tcsned

I was concerned that 100w wouldn't cut it for some of our louder shows since I've been using the 80w Mosvalve and have had to set it at 8 or so when the crowd gets a little wild. I was trying out my new speaker cab (loaded with Eminence Commonwealth speakers) and didn't plug in the Lexicon rack unit (usually the last thing before the power amp) and it just about peeled the paint off the wall at 6. I'm thinking the gain structure in the Lexicon needs tweaking :roll: - I'm now thinking the MC250 would be enough - they seem relatively available and not too expensive.

I do have this McIntosh :lol:

#114399  by JonnyBoy

OH yes sir 100 watts MAC is ENOUGH (about 140 true watts)!! Its the 50 watts that may get you distorting, and not in a good way. For bar shows, 50 watts is plenty though. 100 watts has never failed me, even on a festival sized stage outdoors. You'll mic anyway there. Since we moved to the presonus, we are micing everything, every show, and I can play a LOT lower. I have been using a deluxe power section with one speaker lately and letting the monitors and mains do the work. I guess I have to rework everything again.... I like the 6l6 tubes but it is NOT like a MAC. But it does sound good tone wise.
 #114400  by TRG

JonnyBoy wrote:
TRG wrote:

Yes but no. You can individually power each speaker which is nice. So, you can crank the top speaker that isn't mic'd for stage volume and turn down the speaker that is going to the board, or vise versa. I think you can get a little "louder" hooking both into parallel and going bridged, but it still is debatable. I think the signal in the amp has a little more headroom and the speakers in parallel drops the ohm rating to give you a little power boost, even though there is an autoformer that is supposed to give you an even signal depending on the tap you choose... I still think you can get more headroom going bridged mono. I haven't used my MC250 in a long while though, I have been using my MC100 when I use my mac setup, so I don't really remember.
Interesting, thanks for the reply!
 #114410  by mijknahs

tcsned wrote:I was concerned that 100w wouldn't cut it for some of our louder shows since I've been using the 80w Mosvalve and have had to set it at 8 or so when the crowd gets a little wild.
No way. A 100W McIntosh is not equivalent to other solid state amp ratings. They rate their amps VERY conservatively. A 100W McIntosh is closer to 150W before any distortion.
 #114414  by tcsned

mijknahs wrote:
tcsned wrote:I was concerned that 100w wouldn't cut it for some of our louder shows since I've been using the 80w Mosvalve and have had to set it at 8 or so when the crowd gets a little wild.
No way. A 100W McIntosh is not equivalent to other solid state amp ratings. They rate their amps VERY conservatively. A 100W McIntosh is closer to 150W before any distortion.
Thanks Jim, I think you guys are right a MC250 or 100 sounds like more than enough. Now that I seem to have my Lexicon under control again the 80w Mosvalve sounds a lot stronger. Now all I have to do is be patient for the right one
 #116462  by hawk900

I have a freshly recapped MC2100. You only need 2 5w resistors. One for each sound card. Installed custom cooling system too.
Here's my work sheet.

Make an offer. Search my posts about the 2100 and the custom work.