Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #113521  by SarnoMusicSolutions

To be fair, there is apparently something to the power cord thing, however, there's a point at which it becomes pretty silly. To my understanding, the idea of the better power cords is that they're shielded and the shield is connected only at one end. This is said to help with certain devices, namely digital converters with precision clocking where slight amounts of noise and interference on the power line coming in can reduce the jitter performance. But the catch is that a "good" power cord should or could cost about $30 to use the good Belden shielded power cord and decent plug ends. Once you start getting into this real high end of audiophoolery, it becomes comedy. I also think it's silly to want to drop cash on this kind of thing for guitar amplification. Until it's clearly demonstrated that an audible improvement is noticeable in a blind a/b test, I'm not sold.

I did make my own few shielded power cords for my mastering studio to power my digital converters and computer interface, but that's it. Not totally sure I hear the difference, but surely can't hurt. But for this kind of price for a couple of power cords, I think I'd rather buy another McIntosh or maybe a MuTron.

B
 #113522  by tcsned

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:To be fair, there is apparently something to the power cord thing, however, there's a point at which it becomes pretty silly. To my understanding, the idea of the better power cords is that they're shielded and the shield is connected only at one end. This is said to help with certain devices, namely digital converters with precision clocking where slight amounts of noise and interference on the power line coming in can reduce the jitter performance. But the catch is that a "good" power cord should or could cost about $30 to use the good Belden shielded power cord and decent plug ends. Once you start getting into this real high end of audiophoolery, it becomes comedy. I also think it's silly to want to drop cash on this kind of thing for guitar amplification. Until it's clearly demonstrated that an audible improvement is noticeable in a blind a/b test, I'm not sold.

I did make my own few shielded power cords for my mastering studio to power my digital converters and computer interface, but that's it. Not totally sure I hear the difference, but surely can't hurt. But for this kind of price for a couple of power cords, I think I'd rather buy another McIntosh or maybe a MuTron.

B
'nuff said
 #113523  by Smolder

To confront any skepticism, all any manufacturer would need to do is offer a thirty day refund if you can't hear the difference. I have yet to see that offer from any of the snake oil audiophoolery guys.
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:To be fair, there is apparently something to the power cord thing, however, there's a point at which it becomes pretty silly. To my understanding, the idea of the better power cords is that they're shielded and the shield is connected only at one end. This is said to help with certain devices, namely digital converters with precision clocking where slight amounts of noise and interference on the power line coming in can reduce the jitter performance. But the catch is that a "good" power cord should or could cost about $30 to use the good Belden shielded power cord and decent plug ends. Once you start getting into this real high end of audiophoolery, it becomes comedy. I also think it's silly to want to drop cash on this kind of thing for guitar amplification. Until it's clearly demonstrated that an audible improvement is noticeable in a blind a/b test, I'm not sold.

B
 #113524  by Grateful Dad

Mostdead wrote:The Bullshit O Meter has reached a nice level. I believe the wiring cost around $500.00.
Yea right....and I've got a lovely Norweigan Blue parrot for sale, lovely plumage, loves to "rest".

:D
 #113765  by Mostdead

I must admit little has changed in the world of live music discussion. When I was in my teens and going to shows, Traffic, Allmans,Dead, Steelmill, Zappa, Stone etc. I always had a nice high end system to enjoy it on. It's kind of like if you only like one band. You simply can't hear of anything else. By the way no Guitar Shop I have ever been has anything near high end cables. It's all from China with little consideration given to anything but profit. The profit from 10000 Monster cables compared to one high quality cable with proper materials, grounding and termination is not even in the same world but the person with a high end setup is probably making far superior sound and music and lovin it. Boutique amps , Mcintosh amps, JBl speakers, 500.00 road cases, $1000.00 of dollars in effects, PRS and custom guitars, old teles, old strats for tens of thousands of dollars and a 24 gauge speaker cable and power cords and guitar cord with a cheap connectors. Ouch that hurts.