Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #113569  by Poor Peter

strumminsix wrote: I hope the dude recovers and gets healthy. But it still smakcs off something being off. I don't know who'd dish out thousands if they can only play 3 chords or how someone would have their prized possession something they wanted as a "showpiece". Of course we all know how the written word can be misinterpreted differently than the spoken word!
I actually have a couple of "well off'" friends that have purchased some high end instruments that they can hardly play beyond a I IV V pattern, because they could afford it. One of them has a custom Koa Taylor that I know he dropped some big change on, and he keeps it on a $15.00 stand in his den. With the economy in the state it is, its very possible that this guy had some cash at one point in his life. I don't know...just sayin' It's sad that he is sick and its also sad that he would make up a story like that if he isn't.
 #113573  by hippieguy1954

I too know a couple of collectors that spend huge amounts of money on guitars just to display them. Something I could never do, even if I could afford it.
Anyhoo, I also told him about this forum, so he does know we are here. Maybe he will become a member, let us know who he is and stop hiding? (Not sure if that's the right word)
Something does still seem just a tad odd and that really sucks because I like to trust people. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113575  by jkstraw

hippieguy1954 wrote:I too know a couple of collectors that spend huge amounts of money on guitars just to display them. Something I could never do, even if I could afford it.
+1 I feel like one of these guys. I could only afford my Tiger because of inheritance (seemed appropriate as my grandfather loved listening to me play dead tunes)...I certainly can't play well enough to deserve that kind of investment! (I am still in the MIM Strat league :lol: )

Legit or not - I can't see anyone paying that price for that particular instrument.
 #113578  by playingdead

I don't know if this is legitimate or not … I hope that it is (in a funny sort of way, not that I would wish cancer on anyone), and if it is, maybe we need to give this person a little slack as people react to a diagnosis like this in different ways.

Irregardless, if you want to show a little support toward other people with cancer, my band will be playing at Showcase Live in Foxboro MA on Sat. June 16th. The concert is in honor of Matt Deveney, Playing Dead's original keyboard player. Matt passed away in June 2007 from a rare form of stomach cancer that is not hereditary, or caused by anything other than chance.

Here's a photo of Matt:

Matty was only in his early 30s when we lost him. He started having some stomach pains, went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with a condition called GIST, which is a form of intestinal cancer. He played one last gig with the band before he became too ill to participate, and he was gone just a couple of months later.

Matty was a kind soul, he never played flashily or sought the spotlight, he was content to hide beneath his Red Sox cap with a big grin on his face, eyes closed, and bopping back and forth to the music like Melvin Seals. He was a big guy, but as gentle as a teddy bear. He only sang a couple of tunes, but usually brought down the house when he did.

A year after he passed, we did a benefit at the Museum of Science in Boston for Matt's doctor, who researches GIST at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute here in Boston. We raised more than $25,000 that night.

We're doing it again this year. Playing Dead will be doing a couple of sets, but there will also be a silent auction with some really great items up for bids, including signed items from Trey Anastasio and Phish (Matt was a big Phish fan), items from the Dead, tickets to Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox and Patriots games, free beer for a year from Sam Adams, and even a private acoustic performance by Playing Dead in your living room.

I hope if you live in the Boston area, you'll consider coming to the show, and letting other kind people you know know about it. If you are not in the area, or can't attend, I hope you'll consider buying a ticket anyway. There are various levels of support, from $25 on up. Every cent goes to Dana Farber; the band, vendors, and even the venue are donating their time and effort to try to help other people who might have the misfortune to contract this disease.

I will post more about this later, but it seemed an opportune time with this thread coming up.

Here's a link to ticket sales:

http://www.showcaselive.com/event-sched ... r=2012#852

Here's a photo of Matt with the band onstage at one of the last shows he played with us. May he rest in peace.

#113580  by hippieguy1954

Yea jkstraw, I don't see how he expects to get that for it either. I gave him the Forum address link. Maybe he will join. :|

Oh, and jkstraw, I have a three pretty high end electric guitars (including my Jerryschecter), but still love my MIK Squire Standard. :shock:
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113581  by hippieguy1954

Talk about hijacking a thread, playingdead. What you're doing is admirable, but I think it would be better to make a whole new topic, such as Cancer Benefit Concerts or Shows. Your post would be perfect there and others who know people in need could also post there!

#113584  by misngfingr

Auction ended today without a sale...Can't see why anyone would buy a used Phiga Rosebud with a crap finish for $4K+ when you can have a new one built for you for $3K...?
 #113692  by TI4-1009

I sure hate to be the suspicous/paranoid type, but I've been on a few sites that have been burned by this type of thing. There are just clues you get a bad vibe off of. Could just be me, but caviat empor.

Besides, it's a strange guitar. It's advertised as a Rosebud, but it has the brass inlay and no MIDI. Crop circle fretboard markers??? Maybe it's just his camera, but that's "unusual" looking cocobolo (color and grain). Just my $.02
 #113698  by hippieguy1954

I even told him to join this forum (gave him the link etc.) and we could help him. I guess he don't wanna :cry: .
Makes for more suspicion! :shock: :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113704  by eric

The pictures are definitively showing a Phiga.. With finish issues... I agree its seems a bit fishy, but Im willing to bet with a fair degree of certainly that he is a legit seller and the owner of that guitar ...

Here's my issue, and not that I'm even in the market for a guitar of that caliber..

No matter what his reason for selling it , the guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.. I feel horrible for the guy, having to sell a prized possession under said circumstance, but that has no effect on what I would be willing to pay for it. His misfortune would not make me pay double what I believe it's worth.
There is no way in hell, that anybody in the market for that kind of gtr is going to spend (BIN still 5500.) on that guitar.
Maybe in the low 2k range ... Maybe... Also, not accepting returns is going to make it nearly impossible to get even close to his asking price..I believe most of us are pro-ebayers to some degree , and I'm just stating my personal opinions here ...
 #113705  by zoooombiex

I agree. If this is legit, it's sad on several levels. Very sorry for what the guy is/will be going through personally. Also sad because unless someone eMiracle's him that guitar is not going to sell for anything near what he's asking.

Maybe he could talk to Phiga and explain his situation and get the finish fixed on the fast & cheap/free? Get someone to take some good pics, fix up his ad, etc. Make it more of a charity/benefit and community effort.
 #113708  by hippieguy1954

zoooombiex wrote:I agree. If this is legit, it's sad on several levels. Very sorry for what the guy is/will be going through personally. Also sad because unless someone eMiracle's him that guitar is not going to sell for anything near what he's asking.

Maybe he could talk to Phiga and explain his situation and get the finish fixed on the fast & cheap/free? Get someone to take some good pics, fix up his ad, etc. Make it more of a charity/benefit and community effort.
+1 :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113790  by hippieguy1954

I think I talked him into joining. He asked me (via ebay messages) what the address is here. I thought I had already given it to him, but....we will see.

This was his last message to me:
What is the address, Jimbo? Website address that is. Man, my dog got run over on Wednesday Night. His back is broken and I am going to have to put him down. He turns 3 on Sunday, May 13, 2012!!!I am so sad right now.Thanks for HELPING ME OUT!!!I just need to raise money to get to California and get some honey oil to KILL this colon cancer while it is in remission.If you haven't, please get a colonoscopy. I don't care how old you are!!!THANKS AGAIN!!!Hunter