rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #111746  by playingdead
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:39 pm
Here's a *lefty* Alvarez-Yairi WY-1K in all koa, Bob Weir model ... gorgeous guitar, 14-fret 000, cutaway, preowned, in very good condition, just some minor surface scratches, no cracks or issues. Low action, comfortable neck, System 600 MKII electronics (you can plug an internal mic into the onboard preamp and mix it in). List is $3030, street price on a lefty is $1990, yours for $1200 plus shipping.

http://leftyguitarsonly.com/lefty-alvar ... ir-guitar/
 #111787  by playingdead
 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 am
They make the WY-1 with the Aura system now. Be tempting to swap.

But if I were going to ditch what's in there, I'd be tempted to install the LR Baggs Anthem system, I had that put into a lefty Carter-Poulsen G Model acoustic (14-fret 00) and did a recording of the guitar mic'd and direct from the Anthem, the Anthem is quite good overall, definitely retains the character of the guitar. No barn door required, either. Actually, removing the electronics and just leaving the hole there makes the guitar sound much better to you as a player, a lot of high-end acoustics have "sound ports" in that same space.

Here's the Carter-Poulsen mic'd and direct. Note that there's no EQ, processing or anything else done to either recording.