rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #107428  by mijknahs
 Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:33 pm
Counterstriker wrote:Looking to buy one, I can trade you with a hughes and kettner blues master or cash, or both! :smile: Please PM me!
Why are you selling the Hughes and Kettner? I thought you were looking to get the JK tone? Isn't that what he uses?
 #107523  by mijknahs
 Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm
Counterstriker wrote:I am but I like the tone he gets in the John K band better, it's brighter and sounds better overdriven i feel. He uses a Trio for that.. Great preamp though, but with no job at the moment.. i gotta make money somehow!
Oh, ok. I didn't know that he uses a Trio in his other band.
 #107529  by waldo041
 Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 pm
Counterstriker wrote:I am but I like the tone he gets in the John K band better, it's brighter and sounds better overdriven i feel. He uses a Trio for that.. Great preamp though, but with no job at the moment.. i gotta make money somehow!
FYI, his Trio is not stock! you may want to get into contact with JK and ask him what mods he did to his TRIO. i recall something about modding the tonestack potentiometer wiring to be more akin to fender and definately some cap value and material swaps as well.

peace,
waldo
 #107536  by Counterstriker
 Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm
I saw that in the Groove tubes topic, I talked to Brad about it asking him if I could get by for the time being, and he believes that I should be able to get a very close tone without the mods, I'll just have to tweak it a bit more.. I'm going to have it modded for sure though, just need to make the cash for it :smile: For now I think the tone will get close.. I have a boss EQ that I'll run with it if I have to.

I did have a question though, I'm running a EH Booster pedal in front of it to push it to overdrive, my question is with the pedals before that, say for example.. a qtron.. wouldn't the booster mess with the tone of the qtron?
 #107542  by mijknahs
 Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 am
Counterstriker wrote:wouldn't the booster mess with the tone of the qtron?
Not sure if you have an OBEL but you need to have the qtron in an effects loop that is pre-guitar volume (in the OBEL). If any pedal needs a pre-guitar volume effects loop, it's the envelope filter. Then it wouldn't matter what other boost pedals you have going on. The envelope will act correctly no matter what.