#4560  by Shaggy

I think I'll Take A Melody was one of the best songs Jerry covered, the album version on Reflections is stunning, with that sparkling outro by Garcia's delicate riffing and Nicky Hopkins on piano.

You know Nicky Hopkins played on over 500 albums, The Kinks wrote a song about him, every Beatle had him playing on each of their debut solo albums. Lennon wanted to form a band with him in it as well. Just about the most amazing player anyone ever heard who could play anything. Whilst it was only shortlived I think the work he did with Garcia was brilliant. What a genius.

#4572  by b weird

My favorite Dead cover tune would have to be Me & My Uncle but Jack-A-Roe and Big River are good too.
 #4578  by devil

Hey Little One
Morning Dew
Baby Blue
Hard To Handle
GDTRFB
NFA

Those peak my interest

#4590  by caspersvapors

right now its I know you rider

#5620  by shakedown_04092

Tough one. As stated above, I think my changes with my moods, but 2 that will always be constant are Desolation Row & Visions of Johanna.

#5621  by hesgone95

Off the top of my head:

MAMU
GDTRFB
Rider
Simple twist of fate...something about Jerry's singing on that one

Jerry solo:
How Sweet it is
Lonesome and a Long Way From Home
Stop that Train
I'll Take a Melody

Also, Sing me Back Home
and early Death Don´t have no Mercy
 #5628  by phreaker

jck_strw wrote:
phreaker wrote:is it just me, or have i heard the dead play "okie from musgokie"

funny tune for a like the dead to play.
Nope, not just you. It's on 4-27-71. The Beach Boys were the surprise guests that night. Great show overall.
I knew I had heard it!

That was the night I discovered archive, and Rukind. My local sub sandwich resturant (Yellow sub.) was playing some dead, and I asked where it was from.
The guy told me it was archive, and that the show that was playing in the joing was with the Beach Boys. I'd been searching for that show for quite some time now. thanks Jack.

#5869  by scacioppo

they change but eyes, terrapin, and right now foolish heart and easy to love you. I love brent.

#5870  by scacioppo

i am a knuklehead cover songs sorry,

right now queen jane.
 #5903  by violanojblues

I'm a sucker for anything Pigpen covered.

Lovelight has to be one of my all-time favorite songs, but you can always tell they were having a good ole time playing Ain't it Crazy (The Rub). Something about that one always gets my feet tappin' and my fingers snappin'.

I also dig Bobby's cowboy tune's and loved '73 Big Rivers when they could never quite get in sync with each other on the choruses. The '69 Me & My Uncle's are pretty fun too, very psychedelic & very different from the later incarnations that found their way into more setlists than any other song. (Way to write 'em Papa John.)

#5909  by marley66

how about the weight, or I saw a killer lucy in the sky in philly on st pattys day one nite pretty sure. always loved seeing masterpiece as well. :smile:

#6188  by maximinus

Morning Dew, because they turned that song into one of their own.

#40813  by weirimpressed

The Weight
Going Down the Road Feeling Bad
I Know You Rider
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Hard To Handle (the favorite!!!)

#40838  by krzykat

Morning Dew and Visions

#40849  by High Peaks

I agree about the traditionals. My favorites would have to be:
Sing Me Back Home-
Queen Jane