#53165  by Phaedon

Hi all,

somewhere in 1965 the Dead (named Warlocks in these days) played a song called 'Only time is now' (on the double album "Birth of the Grateful Dead"). I like this song very much and would like to play it whilst singing it.
Onfortunately, I cannot find the chords of this song. It seems that it starts with 'A' and after a while a 'D', but the rest I cannot guess right.

Is there someone somewhere in Deadhead-Land that can help me?

Thanks,
Phaedon
 #53171  by tigerstrat

I used to do that one (and all those obscure "birth of the Dead" tunes) ... I'll have to jog my memory a bit and get back to you
 #53375  by ELPManticore

I might try to figure that one out this weekend...I've always liked the stuff off of that double disc (But I do like just about everything). though I've been fighting infections in each ear for over a week now, so who knows how sucuessful I'll be. Haven't really listened to too many tunes, and anthing louder than an unplugged electric isn't too fun. I've found that if I get the strap in the right spot on my shoulder, and turn my head the right way, all the fuild in my ear acts as an internal amp. Hope it clears up soon as this is sucksville USA.

We'll see if TS and I can't come up with something...
 #53509  by tigerstrat

The Only Time Is Now
Lyrics: Jerry Garcia
Music: Grateful Dead
Code: Select all
(with a Beatles "Ticket To Ride" feel)

A Asus2 A Asus2
------A ----------G--------------------D
Oh I know there is no place you can go to
-------Am -----------------G-------D
And I know you don't know anyone at all
--------- Bm  ----------G--------D-----------A
So come walking in the sun with me my little one
--------D----------------G----D-----E
And remember that the only time is now 
Well strange is the story your eyes tell me
And quiet all the few words that you say
So come and hold my hand for you see I'd understand

Oh I come to you a ragged laughing stranger
And you come to me an angel of the night
So I'll dance and we will sing, for it doesn't mean a thing
To remember that the only time is now

So forget about your yesterdays of sorrow
And forget about the darkness you have seen
For there's only you and me at the edge of an endless sea
Last edited by tigerstrat on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #53521  by tigerstrat

Just noticed this isn't even on the song list?!?!?!
 #53541  by Phaedon

tigerstrat wrote:Just noticed this isn't even on the song list?!?!?!
Indeed. It can (and should) now be placed in the 'Grateful Dead Tabs' section. For others who are looking for this song.

Thank you for the chords.

(Phaedon)
 #53569  by tigerstrat

Phaedon wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Just noticed this isn't even on the song list?!?!?!
Indeed. It can (and should) now be placed in the 'Grateful Dead Tabs' section. For others who are looking for this song.

Thank you for the chords.

(Phaedon)
Not sure about a few of those lyrics- got them off The Well. Like maybe "And quiet are the few words that you say" instead of "And quiet all the few words that you say" , which seems to make no sense.
 #53594  by ELPManticore

Hey guys - sorry for not getting back to you all, this is the first time I've been online in about a week or so.

I was working on this friday night, but found out a friend of mine passed away on saturday - so it has been out of my mind since then.

TS - I agree comepletly with your chords, all seem right to me and I'd gotten them too - I was struggling with the Am and Bm, but they seem 'right' ( don't have a guitar to test at the moment).