rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#43677  by Jon S.
 Mon May 12, 2008 2:25 pm
That's why I stopped at just 2! :p

#43687  by jahozer
 Mon May 12, 2008 5:08 pm
You will be more than happy with the mini-Q. It is very round sounding and vowel-like. That is what sets Jerry's use of the effect apart from other users. Other pedals tend to be a bit more "quacky" like Warrens sound with PLF.
However, as evidenced in that video, you can quack out the qtrons (whichever the variety) by overdriving it with your signal. The trick to Jerry's sound is to not overdrive that signal, and just let it ride just under opening fully, and hence quacking. I know it sounds silly, but if you've played around with them you know what I mean.
The trouble is that, some pedals are just all quack, and never settle into that boowow bwow boowow jerry sound.

#43689  by pappypgh
 Mon May 12, 2008 6:12 pm
jahozer wrote:You will be more than happy with the mini-Q. It is very round sounding and vowel-like. That is what sets Jerry's use of the effect apart from other users. Other pedals tend to be a bit more "quacky" like Warrens sound with PLF.
However, as evidenced in that video, you can quack out the qtrons (whichever the variety) by overdriving it with your signal. The trick to Jerry's sound is to not overdrive that signal, and just let it ride just under opening fully, and hence quacking. I know it sounds silly, but if you've played around with them you know what I mean.
The trouble is that, some pedals are just all quack, and never settle into that boowow bwow boowow jerry sound.
JAHOZER -

That's the best I've ever seen someone actually describe the sound by using the written word! I understood that COMPLETELY!!! :cool:

FYI, I use a Q-Tron and when I use an overdriven signal, I don't get quack! Using my distortion pedal gives it a REALLY cool tone...still (as you said) "boowow bwow boowow"ish...THEN add in my Octave?! SICKLEBERRY SOUND.

#43706  by Jon S.
 Tue May 13, 2008 6:53 am
Thanks for nothing for flaming my GAS for yet another new pedal, guys. :eek: :D

You guys with the 'Trons (whatever versions): am I correct that you put them first in your signal chain?

EDIT: Are there significant benefits to this

over this

or this?

#43708  by waldo041
 Tue May 13, 2008 7:07 am
this is the closest to the original mutron circuit.

peace,
waldo

#43710  by Tennessee Jedi
 Tue May 13, 2008 7:09 am
Hello
Jon
I go with the Oc-2 1st.
I was always " searching for the sound " and then someone here said try this - Oc-2 ---> Qtron.
I get a decent Jerry Stranger thing going with it set this way.
Its great to set it and forget it.
:smile:

#43711  by pappypgh
 Tue May 13, 2008 7:11 am
Waldo,
That's the one I have.

As far as the chain goes, here's how I link up:

Guitar > Boss Tuner > EH Octave > Boss Distortion > Dunlop Cry Baby Wah > Q-Tron > Soundtank Delay > Phaser > Amp.

Sometimes I'll put the ROLAND GR-09 first, then into the Tuner....etc.

#43714  by Jon S.
 Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 am
waldo041 wrote:this is the closest to the original mutron circuit.

peace,
waldo
Thanks much for your input, waldo.

As probably is apparent already from this thread, speaking for myself (only), "closest to the original circuit" is not my only or even necessarily highest concern. I like the small footprint on the Micro Q-Tron and the correspondingly small pricetag.

Anyone here ever A-B the two? How close to they get? Even more importantly, can the Micro give us 90-95% of the full-sized unit? And are the differences relevant to copping Jerry's tone or on the margins where they won't matter anyway (apologies to Bootsy Collins fans ;) )?

#43732  by Jon S.
 Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 am
P.S. Anyone heard of this pedal? My understanding is this here pic is of a prototype and it was never actually produced for sale but I have no personal knowledge.

http://www.antelopefx.com/

I figure the builder must be a total Deadhead with pedal names like Morning Dew, Lovelight, Darkstar and Shakedown.

#43733  by Tennessee Jedi
 Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 am
Way cool !
Fx loop built in !
Thanks for the linky link....
:smile: :smile:
 #58483  by Rynlander
 Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:36 am
I use a Korg AX1000G and an AX3000G, and I have exactly Jerry's envelope filter tone. I don't think that Korg makes any single effect boxes, but these two multi-effects processors are great for a wide array of tones. It's fun to create some of Jerry's over processed 80's tones too.LOL
 #58486  by tigerstrat
 Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:34 am
Rynlander wrote:I use a Korg AX1000G and an AX3000G, and I have exactly Jerry's envelope filter tone. I don't think that Korg makes any single effect boxes, but these two multi-effects processors are great for a wide array of tones. It's fun to create some of Jerry's over processed 80's tones too.LOL
Lemme get this straight: you are running not just one, but two Korg multi-effects processors back-to-back... and Jerry's guitar was over-processed? :roll: