#34478  by bucketorain

try the forums on etree. When I was at jeromes place a bunch of dudes were trading some shows, so they do exist.

#34515  by CaptainTrips

I had downloaded one off etree, but I since gave it away to the dude who turned me on to the dead, otherwise Id hook you up. but its on there man. i think i found it in a big "jerry" file with a bunch of other stuff like the pizza tapes.

#34616  by CaptainTrips

Ooh, that looks like a tasty morsel! :smile:

#34635  by KCJones

I have a tape in my vault by the Sleepy Hollow Log Stompers. I wodered if this was just another name Mother Mccree's uptown jug champions went by. Anybody know the history?

#34641  by DyerWolf

According to Dennis McNally's A Long Strange Trip, Sleepy Hollow Log Stompers (although I remember reading it as "Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers" but I could be wrong) is indeed another name for Mother McCree's. The lineup may have been slightly different, but before "settling" on Mother McCree's, Garcia and pals would basically play under a different name every show, and the lineup would never really be very consistent, more or less whatever buddies were around to play that night.

#34643  by Shaggy

May/June 1962 - Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers:

A trio formed by Jerry Garcia, Marshall Leicester and Dick Arnold in May 1962. A tape of a performance by the group exists recorded at the Jewish Community Center in San Carlos on June 11, 1962.

Jerry and Bob met in late 1963. Jerry already knew Pig and Lesh at this point.

Spring 1964 Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions was formed. Jerry, Bob, Pig, Dave Parker, Tom Stone and Mike Garbett.

Late 1964 Jerry, Pig and Bob form The Warlocks. Dana Morgan(the guy Jerry worked with at the music store as a teacher) on bass and Billy on drums. They played their first gig in MAY 1965. Phil replaced Morgan after about a month and a few gigs.

They changed their name to The Grateful Dead in NOVEMBER 1965. First GD show was an acid test in San Jose.

#34648  by willmusic

'61-
-Garcia/Hunter (Bob and Jerry)
-Garcia, Hunter, Albin
-Garcia, Hunter, Leicester

'62-
-Asphalt Jungle Boys
-Sleepy Hollow Hog Stompers (Jerry Garcia, Dick Arnold, Marshall Leicster.)
-Garcia/Nelson
-Hart Valley Drifters (Jerry Garcia, Norman Van Maastricht, Robert Hunter and David Nelson.At other times Ken Frankel and Worth Handley were members of this group.)
-Badwater Valley Boys (Jerry Garcia, Ken Frankel, Marshall Leicester and Robert Hunter)
-Thunder Mountain Tub Thumpers (Jerry Garcia, David Nelson, Robert Hunter, Joe Edminston and Jim Edminston)

'63-
-Wildwood Boys (Jerry Garcia, Norman Van Maastricht, Robert Hunter and David Nelson)
-Jerry and Sarah
-Godawful Palo Alto Bluegrass Ensemble (A short lived group, probably a trio, that included Jerry Garcia, David Nelson and Pete Wernick. According to Wernick, Garcia played mandolin in this ensemble.)
-Black Mountain Boys (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter, Eric Thompson, Sandy Rothman and David Nelson)
'64-
-Black Mountain Boys>
-Mother McCree's...and so on...

If anyone can add more, please do cause this is gettin funnn!
Last edited by willmusic on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.