#25153  by spacehead333

When you guys go to Jam Band concerts what do you see. Personally I see a bunch of Frat Guys who are just there to get drunk. What is the music commming to? any thoughts?

#25154  by big_river_bum

i see a lot of frat guys that just get drunk. i see a lot of crusty dreaded spinners that come just to get spun out of their gourds. i see a lot of stuff. it changes from band to band, show to show, city to city, year to year. this subject is tired. don't let others actions influence your enjoyment of the show. everything is subjective, unless of course they threaten/berate you. find a group of friends you can rely on and keep yourself in control. have fun!

#25155  by amyjared

I guess it depends upon where you see shows. When I check out shows here in Eugene, I see a small amount of frat boys, but a lot of different folk, running the whole gamut. When I go to Portland, it's similar. The Bay area is always a wild mix of whatever you can imagine.
When I see shows on the East coast, it's more of the frat boy drunks than I remember from when I lived there. I don't often hit the midwest, so I'm not sure what I'd see there.

#25157  by bodiddley

I see a lot of assholes that bitch about me and my friends because we are so tall and then all they do anyway is talk to each other and bullshit on their cell phone the whole fucking night. Assholes, stay the fuck home!

Oh and if it was my venue I would banish cell phones. I hate going to a ball game or seeing some jerk off on the tele waving at the camera and talking on his cell at the same time."Hey bud, look at me, I'm on fuckin' t.v. I'm so hip." Douchebags.

#25158  by spacehead333

i also hate people who come there and boo the band, or bitch about it. dont come if your going to bitch

#25159  by big_river_bum

i do seem to get the girl every show who yells at me cuz i'm a whole 5'11". i especially like it when they show up to a GA right before the show and expect my spot. usually if i notice someone struggling to see i'll sidestep to one side(sight lanes are a must even for me)or switch spots with them. at flaming lips a few weeks ago the show was just about to start. this fat girl in a hippie dress(why do they always seem to be fat)absolutely screams at me as soon as she broke her way through the people behind me. i rolled my eyes and turned around. she pushed me outta the way and continued forward. it doesn't matter what people are(frat,hippie,hipster,etc)there is just a large percentage of jerks in our society who expect something for nothing

#25161  by ebick

bodiddley wrote:I see a lot of assholes that bitch about me and my friends because we are so tall and then all they do anyway is talk to each other and bullshit on their cell phone the whole fucking night. Assholes, stay the fuck home!
This is nothing new. I remember going to Dead concerts in the early 80's and seeing people outside who were just dying to get in.....would do anything. Then, in the middle of a set I go to take a piss (and not necessarily during D/S) and I'd see them out in the lobby bullshitting with their friends.

#25169  by Benthegoodbum

I've never had a problem with the people at shows. Most are just minding their own business and watching the show. There are occasions where I'll get a little annoyed with someone, like when people get out of control with their dancing and they just constantly knock into people. That doesn't really happen very often so it's just a minor thing. I've never been a fan of the new "hippy" look...like the whole dreadlock thing.

#25175  by razmablues

i thought dreads had been in the scene for a really long time :D

#25176  by bodiddley

Personally, I find dreads rather disgusting.

#25178  by LazyLightnin

scene is half and half in my view. theres still PLENTY of good Heads out there. I may be spoiled in a sense that i live fairly close to Nelsons Ledges, its one county over. But there are alot of "poseurs" out there. there are a ton of girls out there that just wanna be with a "hippie guy". they try and dress the part according to what they think is popular in the scene. I met some "hippie" girls a few weeks before Ratdog. I took em to the show, they were all smiles, and kept claiming they loved Jerry and the Dead sooooo much. then when were at the show, the girl i was trying to get with, asks me who was singing :shock:
i said, thats um, well thats Bob Weir right there. her next question was who's Bob Weir? :lol: then they commenced to complain about the show being slow and the songs being crappy. and im all into it, jiven' around the place, they danced with me but i dont think they liked the show much. I have a disdain for all the kids with dreadlocks that act like they know somethin you dont :roll: also roadsluts, and people who generally cant control themselves or their habits in public. 8)

#25182  by phreaker

I'm pretty sure assholes were around in the 60's, too. There are still some mighty fine people out there.

#25185  by gratephulphish123

my only problem is not enough people actually dance. me and my friends like to dance, and we're usually in a tiny minority of people actually dancing, it'll be us a hippie chick or two and an old head. people are way too self conscious at concerts

#25199  by gumbo

this sorta reminds me of one time when i was really, really thirsty at a show. I had been dancing my pants off and I see this "fratish" guy with a huge jug of awesome looking cranberry juice dancing next to me. I motion for a drink and he gives me one, though the only problem is that he is using the juice as a chaser to his vodka and apparently didnt want me to have one because he yells in my ear "the world would be a lot better if we could grab stuff out of peoples hands." I felt bad even though this guy handed me the juice and he was extremely rude.

#25224  by krzykat

It is not just todays jam bands that frat boys went to see. there were tons of them at dead shows. you could most likely go to any university in this country and find a dead frat house. I know there were a few at Michagan State.

that being said I go to shows with my friends and we could care less what anyone thinks of us we just get down. its all about being respectful and having a good time