#23144  by sarraqum

I've been messing around with pentatonic scales and suddenly an epiphany hit me, I don't know if you guys noticed it too so let me know, oh and I am having trouble expressing what I am thinking so I am sorry if it doesn't make sense...

A minor triad looks like this:

A C E

First note is A, this note tells you what pent major scale to use, had this been a major chord.

Second note is C, this tells you what pent minor scale to use. As it turns out A pent minor and C pent major are the same. Does that make sense?

Third note is E, and I haven't figured out what would that scale be called in relation to A key....

That's all. Hopefully those who are in the know will see what I am trying to say....

#23146  by sarraqum

Also, this explains where blues scale originates from. Blues scale for A is just a C pent major with D# added. And C is what turns A into A minor.....

#23186  by jackr

The blues scale has the flat fifth added (not augmented 4th although it is really the same thing)

A is the relative minor to C major. That is why it is the same notes. The A aeolin mode (natural minor) is A B C D E F G A - no sharps or flats.

#23188  by dahmbomb

Right, you just found the relative minor/ relative major relationship.

It goes beyond pentatonic by the way. The A minor scale also contains the same notes as the C major scale. The different feel that each gives is only derived by which notes you resolve on.

Now take those same notes and play D to D and you got Dorian mode...take those same notes and play G to G and you have everyone's favorite (including Jerry's) Mixolydian.