#16472  by tigerstrat

The melody to "What I Got" is directly lifted from the Beatles "Lady Madonna" :lol:

#16479  by shakedown_04092

BlobWeird wrote:
shakedown_04092 wrote:I disagree too, I can see Bobby singing those lyrics and laughing, flubbing them. You know.....having a good time with them!
But keep in mind this post was what would Jerry cover if he was still around, not Bobby. And I still couldnt agree with Bobby either. Just too hardcore and corrupt I guess. I dont know cant think of the words here but I couldnt see it.
Actually the topic is "What covers would they be doing?" but we can agree to disagree on the choices. It's all legal! :cool:

And that's a cool tidbit, TS...I gotta check that out, thanks!

#16496  by BlobWeird

strumminsix wrote:Interestingly enough, although not said, this topic is really what covers would Jerry be singing. We know what Bobby and Phil would do with their respective bands.
Shakedown I was goin by that. cause thats true. we know what bobby and phil wouldve liked to do. Its about what Jerry mightve liked or wouldve sounded good whether he liked it or not lol

#16498  by shakedown_04092

Gotcha...sorry, I was confused :-?

And OH MAN!!!

I'm NEVER posting again! Check out my sweet avatar dudes! Whooooohoooooo! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :lol: :lol: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :D :D

#16500  by BlobWeird

Awesome!! haha thats a good little surprise there.

#16608  by LazyLightnin

theres an offspring song thats almost identical to Obla di obla da. even the vocals are the exact same melody and the words all come out to exactly the right syllable's. silly really

#16619  by strumminsix

With the new acoustic version of "Hey Ya" I would be interested to hear what the boys would sound like doing it. Not that I'd particularly like them to do it regularly but listening to the acoustic version I could hear the potential for so many layers...

#16623  by Rev_Roach

LazyLightnin wrote:theres an offspring song thats almost identical to Obla di obla da. even the vocals are the exact same melody and the words all come out to exactly the right syllable's. silly really
I believe its called "Get a job" or at least thats how the chorus goes. And its quite silly, painfully obvious how it sounds like
Code: Select all

Ob  La   Di  Ob  La Da
Why Dont You Get A  Job

Good point about Lady Madonna TS, I never thought of it before and it seems like it should've been so clear. Sublime did a few things like that, one of the songs on 40 oz takes all the verses straight from a Bob Marley song called Ride Natty Ride, but has its own chorus. And those added parts of Scarlet border on sacriligious IMO. Whats funny is that I, and probably most other deadheads my age, heard Sublime do it before the dead.

#16703  by dancing mantis

OK, I know that the original question was what modern covers (from 1990 on) would the boys have done, but I'd like to have a little fun with this. I hope you all will indulge me. Turns out this is something I have thought about since my first show in 1978. I wasn't all that familiar with their music, but I was very impressed, and when they did "Good Lovin'" and I heard what they did with it I was hooked for life. So here are a bunch of songs that I have said to myself "Wow, imagine the Dead doing that. Imagine Jerry steppin' up to the mike to sing this line!" I know that some of these are pretty odd picks - but indulge me! Thanks.

*It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing (Duke Ellington) - Jerry
*Great Balls of Fire (Jerry Lee Lewis) - Jerry or Bob
*And When I Die (Laura Nyro, as performed by Blood, Sweat and Tears) - ??
*Rock the Boat (Hues Corporation) - imagine Jerry & Bob stepping up to the mic sinnging "Our love is like a ship on the ocean, we've been sailin' with a cargo full of love and devotion"
*That's Life (ala Sinatra) - Jerry
*Satisfy My Soul (marley)
*Let It Roll (Little Feat)
*The Shape I'm In & Don't Do It (The Band) - I also agree with Ophelia which was already mentioned
*Spirit in the Sky (?? - a real oldie)
*Ball of Confusion (with additional new lyrics relevant to more current events from Hunter)
*Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead (Bob) --> If I Only Had A Brain (Jerry!!!!!!) --> GDTRFB --> Follow the Yellow Brick Road (instrumental)
*Sentimental Journey (Green, Brown and Homer)
*Anything by Robert Johnson, but esp. If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day, Love In Vain, Ramblin' On My Mind, and Terraplane Blues
*Moon River (Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer, from Breakfast at Tiffany's) - Bob
*Sing, Sing, Sing (With a Swing) - or another Benny Goodman instrumental like One O'Clock Jump or Stompin' at the Savoy

I know I am weird, but Jerry's voice and guitar still ring true for me and I hear it everywhere. God I miss him.

#16704  by ker1227

i think there was probably an understanding between the dead and almost every other act there was, DONT TAKE OUR STUFF CAUSE YOULL MAKE IT SOUND BETTER THAN WE COULD EVER IMAGINE :lol:

but seriously, it does seem that most covers they did in which there might have been copyright mumbo jumbo, it was always some one that one of the boys had befriended along the way.

im sure theres plenty of example to falsify this, i just cant think of them

#16729  by d-v-s

mantis -
good call with "That's Life" (ala Sinatra). I can definitely see Jerry doing a blues version of this one. great pick.