#10321  by squire758

I've been listening to alot of horn music lately, particularly saxophone. I don't know about you guys but i love the sound of the alto sax. But i thought what would be a better place to ask for suggestions? If you guys know of any horn stuff or players that you like I'd appreciate the recommended listening.

#10322  by squire758

why isn't this in the top stories when i posted it?

#10324  by wisedyes

Depends on what style you like. I really love Maceo Parker for funky, soul jazz and blues type stuff. His "day job" is being the leader of James Brown's band. Stanley Turrentine and Cannonball Adderly were masters.

And of course, if you REALLY want to get down, there is the undisputed soul brother Kenny G... :cool:

#10327  by Jimkkc

For all things sax - listen to John Coltrane. For starters, both Carlos Santana (Sp) and Jerry thought he was the man. If you listen to Coltrane's mid 60's material, you can hear the link between Coltrane and the dark, deep spaces that the Dead reached in 72-74 PITB, Dark Star, The Othe One . . .

If you live near a big public library, see if that library owns the 8 Disk Set called "The Classic Coltrane Quarter" - I believe the players were Jimmy Garrison, McCoy Tyner, Coltrane, and Elvin Jones - wow - what an incredible set of players.

The last time a piece of music made me feel like I died, was reborn and baptized again was Disk 4 of The Classic Coltrane Quarter.

You might also check out the recently released live disk with Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane . . .

As you can tell, anything with Coltrane is gold.

#10335  by China Cat

jimkkc, you him it right on the head with coltrane. his music is amazing, and always keeps me interested, i recommend thelonius monk quartet live with john coltrane at carnegie hall, circa 1957. the story behind this cd is pretty crazy, it was recorded, lost in the federal library, discovered in 2005 and released the. the musicians are thelonius monk, john coltrane, ahmed abdul-malik, and shadow wilson - another great group of really talented musicians

#10338  by Rev_Roach

coltrane is great alright. especially A Love Supreme, what a masterpiece! generally considered one of the best jazz albums ever, up there with Miles Davis' Kind of Blue

I remember seeing The Dead at PNC in summer 2003 (too young to ever see Jerry :( ) A Love Supreme was played between the sets. superb pick. second set started with drums and then a kick ass blues medley

#10339  by Robey

I have a lot of horn music I guess. There are many things to recommend depending on what you think you may like, or what you're open to or might not know.

I have a recommendation for one particular cd which is unfortunately not available anymore conventionally: David Murray's Ballads for Bass Clarinet. If you have a nice stereo system, the quality is there.....

There's a lot to recommend, however. Do you want funk, New Orleans style, jazz (and then what genre of jazz), rock, etc.

I dunno. Tough question. Varied answer!

#10340  by Robey

Apologies for the add'l post. I reread your message. For alto sax, there are some giants. You might check out Jackie McLean's Bluesnik.

Others:

Sonny Criss - Complete Imperial Recordings
Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else
Kenny Garrett - Songbook
Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag
Sonny Red - Out of the Blue

I've been out of jazz mode for a while, but these are all stellar representations of alto sax.

Regards
Pat

#10342  by squire758

all very kind suggestions. thanks alot, i got limewire pumpin like a sweat shop

#10345  by Jimkkc

Wait a minute - in my original post on this subject, it should read Classic Coltrane Quartet not the Classic Coltrane Quarter - my apologies. You might also add Sonny Rollins to the list . . . There is a box set of the early Sonny Rollins (mid 50's) I guess that is well worth seeking out.

#10348  by squire758

yea i assumed you meant quartet. Sonny Rollins is definately the man, i have a few things of his. I'd love to check out that box i didnt know there was one

#10355  by tigerstrat

For the love of god- a sax discussion centering on the alto, and Charlie Parker doesn't even get mentioned until I stumble along? "Lover Man"! "Ko-ko"!! "Oscar For Treadwell"!!

The Bird flies above the rest.

Ornette Coleman was also one of Jerry's faves...

#10361  by Jimkkc

Tigerstrat - what is even more strange, I live in the city where Charlie Parker was born and is buried and still I didn't mention him - At the risk of sounding stupid, I don't feel connected to Parker's music like I do with Coltrane or Rollins - This probably says more about my lack of Jazz knowledge than anything else. When I hear Coltrane, I feel his music and so my lack of knowledge about what he is doing dissipates and I appreciate the "moods" established in Coltrane. I think the same is true with the GD - once I "heard" the nuances in Bob's playing and understood more of what he is doing, my appreciation for his playing grew.