rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#10081  by Benthegoodbum
 Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:53 pm
I am a little confused about how to find the melody of a song. For one thing I don't really know what melody is. So I was wondering can someone explain what it is and how to find it in a song? I hope this isn't too tall of an order.

#10082  by squire758
 Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:24 pm
most simply, the melody is the aspect of the song you would be humming if you hummed the song. or:

n 1: a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence; "she was humming an air from Beethoven"

#10084  by LazyLightnin
 Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:43 pm
alot of times it the vocal line, Jerry played alot of his solos off the basic melody of the tune. i guess an example would be the guitar parts in black muddy river.

#10110  by HOWEYMAN
 Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:54 am
LazyLightnin wrote:alot of times it the vocal line, Jerry played alot of his solos off the basic melody of the tune. i guess an example would be the guitar parts in black muddy river.
That is a damn good example.

#10114  by eyeprod
 Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 am
The above posters are absolutely correct. Melody is what you can hum without singing the words. Usually the vocal melody is the most noticeable melody in a song and alot of the time the solos will be based around that melody. Another example of Jerry doing it is in Row Jimmy.

#10115  by Benthegoodbum
 Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:46 am
Thanks a lot my fellow musicians. This has really helped me to grasp the whole concept of melody much better. My hats off to you.