rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#7813  by China Cat
 Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:17 am
My current main squeeze is a Fender American Deluxe Strat, and i am lookin to add a les paul -ish guitar to my collection. I saw the Pro Jet for a little les than 400 bucks. Anyone out there play/have played this guitar? Any information would be great

#7818  by wisedyes
 Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:42 pm
Pro Jets are nice little guitars, but nothing like a Les Paul. If your budget is around $400.00 or so, you may want to look at something like an Ibabez Artist. The Epiphone Elitist series are very, very good, too. As nice as a Gibson for less than half the price, and WAAA-AAAY better than standard Epis.

#7855  by China Cat
 Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:18 am
thanks man. listenin to the pro jet play, i saw that ur right, they sound not at all like a les paul. they do get a pretty cool P90 like tone cause of the mini 'buckers. think i might get one soon, but i will def. check out the epis and ibanez u recommended. ill let u know what i decide on.

#7941  by China Cat
 Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:11 am
I went to guitar center to play on the Gretsch, and i was quite disappointed.no great feel, no great sound (buzz on e and a strings. it played and sounded about the same as a 250 dollar epi les paul. After looking at and playing aout 20 other guitars, i was ready to leave. I had checked out some ibanez artcore hollowbodies, which we nice but the single cut (which i prefer to the double) cost $350. I decided i didnt like the color blue on it and it was a little too pricey, but then i saw a red one next to it marked 300. same guitar, both new, different price. Turned out to be a misprint, but they had to sell it at the posted price. I got the salesman to take off the tax and 25 bucks, and i walked away with a 375 (with tax) guitar for about 275. its pretty sweet.
 #7942  by Laytonco
 Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:21 am
Hey everybody!
Back in march, I bought a Schecter CS/H-1 for about $500 and love it! What tone. I will warn you that the Schecter's these days are Korean made and you'll need to have them set up properly. I'm definitely not a guitar snob, but I have an Alembic Tribute and a Gibson SG and this Schecter adds real "bench strength."

Peace

#7945  by wisedyes
 Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:39 am
Alright, Chinacat, good for you! Those Artcores are some really nice guitars, especially for the money. I kind of wonder how the hell Ibanez is doing it. If I wasn't already covered on the jazz box thing, I would take a long, hard look at those. Excellent selection.