rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #6009  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:05 pm
tigerstrat wrote:
Franklin's
Casey Jones
Shakedown
Don't Ease
Bertha
Deal
Might As Well
Alabama Getaway
U.S. Blues
Big RxR Blues
China Cat
Scarlet Begonias
Cold Rain
Iko
Touch...
I think this is a matter of perspective.
Of those you listed, I'd say the following are rock:
Franklin's
Casey Jones
Bertha
Deal
Might As Well
Alabama Getaway
Scarlet Begonias
Cold Rain (early days)
Touch

Shakedown = disco jam
Don't Ease = electric folk
U.S. Blues = swing/blues
Big RxR Blues = uptempo blues
China Cat
Iko = electric folk

But anywho, thanks for getting my gears turning for the rockin' side of Jerry.

 #6017  by Billbbill
 Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:40 pm
Hey tiger,

Please don't misunderstand my point. I in no way intended to infer that you felt this way, and your point about double meanings is valid.

My thoughts are questioning the mentality that would be offended by the song for the reasons stated. I'm not doubting that these folks existed, Apparently I never met up with them.


Or maybe I lived a sheltered life.

:-)

 #6018  by tigerstrat
 Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:59 pm
strumminsix wrote:
Shakedown = disco jam
Don't Ease = electric folk
U.S. Blues = swing/blues
Big RxR Blues = uptempo blues
China Cat
Iko = electric folk

But anywho, thanks for getting my gears turning for the rockin' side of Jerry.
sheesh. Then he has NO rockers at all. Then Day Job = electric folk and/or swing/blues also, and so does Deal, Mighty Swell, etc. etc.

Each one of those rocks me. Ramble On Rose is an earthquake.

 #6019  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:25 pm
tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Shakedown = disco jam
Don't Ease = electric folk
U.S. Blues = swing/blues
Big RxR Blues = uptempo blues
China Cat
Iko = electric folk

But anywho, thanks for getting my gears turning for the rockin' side of Jerry.
sheesh. Then he has NO rockers at all. Then Day Job = electric folk and/or swing/blues also, and so does Deal, Mighty Swell, etc. etc.

Each one of those rocks me. Ramble On Rose is an earthquake.
Umm, I agreed with over half your list and thanked you for opening up my eyes.

Why the gloom?

 #6021  by phreaker
 Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:14 pm
shit, it's all rock in the end.

 #6039  by tigerstrat
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:56 am
strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Shakedown = disco jam
Don't Ease = electric folk
U.S. Blues = swing/blues
Big RxR Blues = uptempo blues
China Cat
Iko = electric folk

But anywho, thanks for getting my gears turning for the rockin' side of Jerry.
sheesh. Then he has NO rockers at all. Then Day Job = electric folk and/or swing/blues also, and so does Deal, Mighty Swell, etc. etc.

Each one of those rocks me. Ramble On Rose is an earthquake.
Umm, I agreed with over half your list and thanked you for opening up my eyes.

Why the gloom?
No gloom here, although the last few days have been mournful over Vince's death, and the fact that I'll never get to meet him now. I was just very shocked by some of your rejects...and the reasoning.

You and I have been having some very spirited disagreements over interpetation and meanings, and now it seems even the definition of rock n roll, which in my book is either "uptempo" blues"(as you labeled Big RxR Blues) in the more traditional Louis Jordan/Chuck Berry/Stones/Zep>> sense, or (in the... Grateful Dead sense) any form of music with a very forceful and heavy beat, which leaves you feeling like you've been "rocked".

Now I'm pretty sure we are sort of excluding slow tempo songs, but not sure if you specifically mean UP tempo songs.

I don't get how Day Job and Deal are defined by you as rockers and U.S. Blues, Don't Ease and Big RxR Blues are something else? I would call all of these songs rockers, but if the original "boogie" definition is used, I would say say that of all 5 tunes, Big RxR best fits the "boogie" model.

phreaker said it best: It's all rock. They were quoted many times saying they considered what they did "rock".

 #6046  by strumminsix
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:37 am
Even though we've disagreed, I've respected you opinion!

It's kinda the beauty of music, 2 people hear different things.

 #6049  by tigerstrat
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:24 am
If none of us disagreed, the internet would be a very boring place! Right backatcha S6.

I still have yet to hear the Jerry-sung version of Promised Land. I wonder if a recording exists.

 #6059  by Billbbill
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:50 pm
I think I have a version of Promised Land (somewhere on a cassette tape) where they are all playing instruments other than their natural ones. For some reason I'm thinking it was some kind of april fools deal. I don't remember if JG was singing and it's probably not the same one you're talking about anyway. But it was pretty funny.

 #6060  by strumminsix
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:34 pm
Bill-squared, was that 4/1/84???

 #6062  by Billbbill
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm
I don't know ss, I'll have to dig a bit. I don't think so because I kinda remember them going into a for real promised land right after it, but I haven't listened to it in so long I may be wrong. Where in this show are you referring to?

 #6063  by Billbbill
 Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:00 pm
Found it on deadbase.com

4/1/80

This as a footnote on the setlist.

April Fool's Promised: Bobby on keyboards, Brent & Jerry on drums, Billy on bass - Mickey on rhythm guitar and vocals, and Phil on lead guitar

 #6075  by tigerstrat
 Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:08 am
OK, I KNOW you'll buy this theory: Deadheads hearing it at the show didn't like being REMINDED that they had jobs to return to... "gimme a song about a card game!"

 #6076  by Billbbill
 Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:17 am
If the card game involves money, chances are I don't want to be reminded of that either.

That's why I stick to spades, hearts or pinochle and poker just for chips or fun. Me and gambling are like this.

(cut to Bill holding arms up as if signaling a touchdown)