rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#98027  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue May 10, 2011 2:33 pm
I was re-reading this article and a quote caught my eye.
Q: Do you know what you’re doing in theoretical terms?

Jerry: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I couldn’t not. There was a time when I could get by with not knowing, you know, but not anymore, not with the caliber of musicians I play with. Besides, for me it isn’t satisfying to not know. It’s not satisfying to bluff. I like to know because for one thing, it makes it a lot easier to communicate what you’re doing. Just that alone is a good reason to know.

http://jasobrecht.com/jerry-garcia-the- ... interview/
 #98028  by jahozer
 Tue May 10, 2011 2:51 pm
+1+1+1+1+1!!!!!
 #98769  by eric
 Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 pm
DEC 2005 issue guitar player mag.... featuring help/slip....he gets into some serious discussion on chord/ scale theory and whats going on in his head.. talk about some advanced technical knowledge of music theory.....i'd
say its a must read..
 #98773  by ugly rumor
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 am
So...Elvis AND Jerry are still around?
 #98775  by Pete B.
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:11 am
eric wrote:DEC 2005 issue guitar player mag.... featuring help/slip....he gets into some serious discussion on chord/ scale theory and whats going on in his head.. talk about some advanced technical knowledge of music theory.....i'd
say its a must read..
That article is what sparked a renewed love affair with electric guitar for me, after spending about 10 years emmersed in Pedal Steel.
 #98781  by eric
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am
ugly rumor wrote:So...Elvis AND Jerry are still around?

wow...good catch ....but ....

The 2005 article was compiled from interviews in Oct '78, July '88, and Sept '91

although it'd be a lot cooler if he was still around!!!!
 #98782  by Pete B.
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:01 am
I'm speaking of the Guitar Player Dec 2005 issue that tabs out Slipknot. I liked the writers comments on Jerrys licks for this one.
He describes the Whip section something like... ...Then Jerry reaches for the heavens...
I don't recall that this segment had been from and earlier article.
I bought the '78 Guitar Player mag when it came out, and read it in depth all day long in high school (and again after school in "detention").
We jammed every day after school back then.
:cool:
Last edited by Pete B. on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #98785  by eric
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 am
Hey Pete,
I was just referring to the comment of the other poster of Elvis and Jerry still being alive. ( I'm guessing because the article was published in Dec 2005 , after Jerry's passing). Which, was a hell of a catch!!!

The actual interview's from the DEC 2005 issue were from years past, but the incredible analysis and transcription of SLIP was from Jude Gold, who played with JGB (post-Jer) at some point.

I've probably watched your videos as much as you read that '78 issue!! I can only dream of playing as good as you ...thanks for the inspiration...
 #132052  by TI4-1009
 Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:09 pm
JamminJommy wrote:I wonder if they said "Yeah man... its just an E Dorian jam in 6/8."
Well, we have Jerry quoted on his depth of understanding theory. We know Phil was there having formally studied music and composition. Bobby would be the wild card, but having put in so many hours between the other two, and his extensive use of "unusual" chords and inversions you'd have to figure he was in on it too.

I'd say "yes".
 #132146  by easytoslip
 Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:46 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I was re-reading this article and a quote caught my eye.
Q: Do you know what you’re doing in theoretical terms?

Jerry: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I couldn’t not. There was a time when I could get by with not knowing, you know, but not anymore, not with the caliber of musicians I play with. Besides, for me it isn’t satisfying to not know. It’s not satisfying to bluff. I like to know because for one thing, it makes it a lot easier to communicate what you’re doing. Just that alone is a good reason to know.

http://jasobrecht.com/jerry-garcia-the- ... interview/
Thanks for the link Dan, enjoyable read
 #132163  by Lephty
 Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 am
Also loved the part where the interviewer asks if any GD concerts stand out in Jerry's memory, and he says that he doesn't really keep track (as his fans do): "For me, it's the next note. It's not the last one."

Friggin' LOVE that.
 #132165  by pedalpoet
 Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 am
"Why do you think you’ve attracted such a loyal following?

It must be really hungry out there. [Laughs.] I blame the general low quality of life, you know."
That was pretty funny. I really appreciated having it put into context regarding the opening remarks as well.