Place for the rest of the music
 #160346  by gratefulredhead

Winterland did a gig in Minnesota recently where only half the band could make it. Having no second guitar was weird for sure. But I think it was an interesting sound too. I'd love to hear what you all think.
https://youtu.be/vwtjOX5LJF0
MattMan liked this
 #160348  by Gr8fulCadi

Didn’t miss a beat imo. Nice job, great playing, tone and vocals!!

Are those Super Distortions that are split to a single coil? I’m thinking about swapping my super II’s for Super D’s.
 #160351  by gratefulredhead

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 am Didn’t miss a beat imo. Nice job, great playing, tone and vocals!!

Are those Super Distortions that are split to a single coil? I’m thinking about swapping my super II’s for Super D’s.
Actually they are D.Allen Voodoo '69 single coils. I love them! I have Super Distortions in my other guitar and I love them. They aren't as thin sounding as Super 2s IMO.

Thanks for the kind words!
 #160357  by gratefulredhead

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:51 am Ok I knew you mentioned Super D’s jus wasn’t sure which axe they were in. Thx
If you check out the first video on this page, Tennessee Jed, it's Super Distortion middle pickup split, straight into the amp, no pedals.
https://m.facebook.com/winterland73/videos/?mt_nav=1
 #160361  by Kaifusha

Great stuff! Nice playing and tone. Playing that material without the other guitar would be weird - but a leaner sound is not to be underestimated IMHO. Y'all pulled it off with aplomb. So that's what the 69's sound like in context. I've been t hinking about getting a set for my 97 strat which has the stock pickups now, and that may have pushed me over the edge. FWIW, I just switched my middle super 2 for a super D in my jerrycaster, and I'm much happier. Highs are less harsh, at least with that guitar and thru a Micropro Mach 2 and K-120. Thanks for sharing!
 #160364  by gratefulredhead

gratefulredhead wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:26 am
Kaifusha wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 pm Great stuff! Nice playing and tone. Playing that material without the other guitar would be weird - but a leaner sound is not to be underestimated IMHO. Y'all pulled it off with aplomb. So that's what the 69's sound like in context. I've been t hinking about getting a set for my 97 strat which has the stock pickups now, and that may have pushed me over the edge. FWIW, I just switched my middle super 2 for a super D in my jerrycaster, and I'm much happier. Highs are less harsh, at least with that guitar and thru a Micropro Mach 2 and K-120. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Kaifusha, you made my day with your kind comments. Playing as a quartet was awkward at first but it ended up being a blast in the end, I liked how much more freedom I had with the arrangements.
The Voodoo 69s are some of my favorite sounding pickups...you will be happy you got them. They have sweet high end for a single coil, and a nice fullness. They sound great overdriven too, though I mostly play clean.

I agree with you about the SDs being less shrill than the Super 2s. I think the Super 2s worked for Jerry because he was pushing his amp and speakers so hard, and that made them sound Fuller and sweeter. But at mere mortal volumes they sound thin.

I'd love to hear some clips of your Quilter set up. I've only heard a Micropro in a combo with stock speaker. Love to hear it through a k120!

Best of luck finding that sweet spot!
 #160367  by Jon S.

Please tell your bassist someone here is loving his playing!
gratefulredhead liked this