rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#44837  by Pete B.
 Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 am
Hey Gang,
Just wondering if anybody has any reccomendations for other players besides Jerry who have used the Mutron III?

I just saw an old MuTron III ad for a guy named Larry Coryell.
I have never heard his playing.
Can anyone reccomend a recording that shows off his MuTron III playing?
I saw a recent pic on his website and I see a MuTron III on the floor by his feet.
He is playing in Seattle next week, maybe I should check him out?

Basically looking for reccomendation for any specific songs and/or artists using the MuTron III.
I guess I'm thinking mainly for guitar, but any instrument would be fine.

cool,
pete b.

#44839  by tigerstrat
 Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 am
Never having heard Larry Coryell before, you can add to your list of universes every guitarist should explore! Brilliant musician- can't remember having heard him through an EF before.

Pre-emptive mention of that fellow from The New Bohemians...Stevie Wonder of course.

One of my favorite guitarists, Fareed Haque of Garaj Mahal uses the mini-Q.

oh yeah and Pete Townshend on "Goin' Mobile" in 1971!

#44861  by KCJones
 Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:46 am
Along with Larry Coryell, check out Lee Ritenour - same class of musician as Coryell; the best of the best. He uses an Mutron III on many tracks. Check out the song Caterpiller on the player on his website.

http://www.leeritenour.com/
Last edited by KCJones on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

#44865  by tigerstrat
 Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 am
So as far as the Mu-Tron III and guitarists specifically, we have Coryell and... hmmm.

Didn't Junior Marvin of The Wailers use an M3 on Babylon By Bus? Or maybe that was Al Anderson...

#44868  by KCJones
 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:23 am
"Mu-Tron were used by musicians during the '70s, including Stevie Wonder, Larry Coryell, George Duke, George Benson, Lee Ritenour, Frank Zappa, Bootsy Collins, Jerry Garcia, Andy Summers, and many others...." http://www.beitec.com/articles/vintage/vintage1.html
[/img]

#44878  by Pete B.
 Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 pm
KC,
That article rocks.
So?... now I have to go out of my way to listen to some to 10cc, eh?
Pri-tee Trick-ee :o
Pete B.

#44895  by SpaceYrface43
 Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm
Edie Brickell song "What I Am" has a nice Mutron or Q tron solo in it. check it out

#44900  by tigerstrat
 Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:50 pm
SpaceYrface43 wrote:Edie Brickell song "What I Am" has a nice Mutron or Q tron solo in it. check it out
preempted!

#44905  by waldo041
 Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:39 pm
tigerstrat wrote:
SpaceYrface43 wrote:Edie Brickell song "What I Am" has a nice Mutron or Q tron solo in it. check it out
preempted!
who played that solo? :-)

peace,
waldo

#44919  by tigerstrat
 Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:31 am
waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
preempted!

peace,
waldo
Kenny Withrow of the New Bohemians.

Do we know which EF he used? Not to my knowledge.

#44923  by waldo041
 Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:49 am
tigerstrat wrote:
waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote: preempted!

peace,
waldo

sounds friggin killer. has to be a mutron!!!

peace,
waldo

#44925  by bucketorain
 Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:11 am
waldo041 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
waldo041 wrote: who played that solo? :-)

peace,
waldo

sounds friggin killer. has to be a mutron!!!

peace,
waldo
A few weeks ago I emailed "The New Bohemians" they read my email but never responded to my question asking what envelope filter he was using.

but i did just find this posted somewhere:

It was not Jerry Garcia who did the solo, it was the guy from the Bohemians band using Jerry's signature "envelope Filter" guitar pedal, it's a WAH effect that gets more intense the harder you pluck the strings. Getcha facts straight before saying stuff like that...geeeez.

#44929  by tigerstrat
 Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:05 am
Was this a quote?:
It was not Jerry Garcia who did the solo, it was the guy from the Bohemians band using Jerry's signature "envelope Filter" guitar pedal, it's a WAH effect that gets more intense the harder you pluck the strings. Getcha facts straight before saying stuff like that...geeeez.
I remember when that song came out, there was some discussion like "was that Jerry?", a rumor which was fueled by the fact that Jerry and Edie recorded some tracks together about a year later.

I always thought as far as the tone went, it was pretty much spot-on, deep and chewy and delicious, but the solo itself is not that Jerry-like.... imho it more closely resembles someone like The Cars' Elliot Easton (brilliant soloist) playing through Jerry's effects.

#44934  by bucketorain
 Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am
tigerstrat wrote:Was this a quote?:
I remember when that song came out, there was some discussion like "was that Jerry?", a rumor which was fueled by the fact that Jerry and Edie recorded some tracks together about a year later.

I always thought as far as the tone went, it was pretty much spot-on, deep and chewy and delicious, but the solo itself is not that Jerry-like.... imho it more closely resembles someone like The Cars' Elliot Easton (brilliant soloist) playing through Jerry's effects.
not a quote, i pulled it from this site:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive/20 ... 41377.aspx

#44936  by tigerstrat
 Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:50 am
bucketorain wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Was this a quote?:

not a quote, i pulled it from this site:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/archive/20 ... 41377.aspx
Not to be a stickler for details, but I consider that a quote.

Couldn't even find what that poster was referencing but the original blogger also messed up crediting Mick Taylor's solo on Honky Tonk Women to Keith Richards