1 main guitar or a handful of favorites?

I play 1 main guitar
62%
I have a handful of favorites that rotate in and out
38%
 #83973  by strumminsix

I'm very curious because I have a theory on this....

Jerry guys have their #1 axe, period
Bobby guys have a handful of loved guitars

For me, I look at our setlist and decide on the guitar, amp, 2nd guitar, rack or pedalboard, etc.

But ever Jerry guy I know has 1 very nice setup and that's it. Curious!
 #83975  by Rusty the Scoob

I've been a one-main-bass guy almost my whole life, but sometimes I go through experimental periods. I'm not sure if I'm in one of those right now or if it's just time to have a full range of sounds at my disposal.
 #83979  by hogan

Cost might have something to do w / your Jerry dudes = 1rig theory. especially if they are rolling a replica type guitar. How many of those does a guy need? Don't answer that vic. I'm not even sure my Wolf guitar is my favorite guitar that I own. I play in a GD band and it covers that well.
 #83981  by strumminsix

hogan wrote:Cost might have something to do w / your Jerry dudes = 1rig theory.
I buy into that theory. But seriously, how much does it cost to add an Ash+Maple strat and bypass effects for the Alligator sound? $500 via craigslist :)
 #83984  by hogan

strumminsix wrote:
I buy into that theory. But seriously, how much does it cost to add an Ash+Maple strat and bypass effects for the Alligator sound? $500 via craigslist :)
right, but I would add on a buffer to that figure. and the cost of installing, because most folks aren't DIY. That gets you your jerry ax, of the folks that do that, how many are in a hurry to go out and do it again? There's your one guitar theory.
I'm not sure favorite = main guitar. It should, but It's not a steadfast rule.
 #83985  by strumminsix

hogan wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
right, but I would add on a buffer to that figure. and the cost of installing, because most folks aren't DIY. That gets you your jerry ax, of the folks that do that, how many are in a hurry to go out and do it again? There's your one guitar theory.
I'm not sure favorite = main guitar. It should, but It's not a steadfast rule.
Thought is was determined Alligator was a stock strat, mostly, less work done on the bridge? No buffer, stock pickups, etc,,,
 #83987  by hogan

it probably is(re alligator) but how many jerry guys just limit themselves to something like that? It's like having an SG and doing nothing but '69-70 type jerry/GD. A strat w/ a buffer and loop can do all the alligator stuff and then some, not so much the other way around. There are some exceptions but they require tricks/workarounds that require more $$. Ex. stock strat > boostpedal to goose an Envelope filter> rest of fx and then a volume pedal at the end. My point is it's harder to get into the whole jerry thing thoroughly on a bunch of different guitars. So a guy kinda has to sack up the $ to carry over the goal line and once they've done it, you're not really in a hurry to do it again. That's been my experience. It's a bit of a k-hole.
If my GD band folded today, i'm not sure how often my wolf would come out of the case. Your question, if genre specific(GD/Jerry/Bob), is what I'm talking about. If the question was " 1 favorite guitar or handful of favs?" I would certainly say handful of favorites. Variety!
 #84059  by JonnyBoy

Switching guitars requires switching all my gear levels to values I don't remember off the top of my head. Unless the guitar I switch to has an output similar to the humbuckers/super II, it doesn't just plug in and play well. It is a pain to get my strat set up through the effects, but its not so bad as a straight run to the amp. In all, the guitar with 3 HuMbucks and split coiled with a 5 way is the ultimate guitar set up you can make in terms of usable tones for me. I can pull off a strat tone for little wing and blues, I have a split super II for Jerry, and a fat neck humbucker for duane slide guitar. Before, I had to switch between the two guitars to get the strat and les paul sounds. Jerry and Irwin's guitar designs ultimately allowed for a one instrument to cover all bases in this situation.
 #84062  by tcsned

I agree JB with the having to readjust amp and effect settings. I bring my PRS w/me in case I break a string and need to get through a tune. It's tough with the output levels on my WGD (Joe Barden humbuckers) since they're so much hotter than any other instrument I own. But the PRS is passable w/o changing the amp settings at least for a tune. I'll occasionally feel nostalgic and do a gig w/my trusty '78 LP or my '79 Strat but I usually stick with them for a whole show.
 #84079  by Rusty the Scoob

JonnyBoy wrote:Switching guitars requires switching all my gear levels to values I don't remember off the top of my head. Unless the guitar I switch to has an output similar to the humbuckers/super II, it doesn't just plug in and play well. It is a pain to get my strat set up through the effects, but its not so bad as a straight run to the amp. In all, the guitar with 3 HuMbucks and split coiled with a 5 way is the ultimate guitar set up you can make in terms of usable tones for me. I can pull off a strat tone for little wing and blues, I have a split super II for Jerry, and a fat neck humbucker for duane slide guitar. Before, I had to switch between the two guitars to get the strat and les paul sounds. Jerry and Irwin's guitar designs ultimately allowed for a one instrument to cover all bases in this situation.
I'm solving this problem with a 4-channel mixer on top of my amp. But I'm also lucky that I don't have to deal with pedals.