#81120  by strumminsix

Okay, somebody has gotta help me. I've got this cool Dean Markely with a FX loop and this UE700 that I wanna mate.

For a simple setup I'd put everything in the loop. Tried it and it sounds:
- great for eq
- great for phaser
- great for flanger
- okay for dist
- meh for the comp which I find to be meh unless combined with the dist

Mind you my jam area sucks acoustically and I cannot get to gig level volumes.

But help me out here, what is bad about OD/Dist in an FX loop again?
 #81123  by tcsned

If it sounds cool, screw conventions. I think the reasoning is that you want to put it in front of your tone controls or you are distorting you amp settings not shaping the distortion with you amp. Could be wrong though.
 #81225  by JonnyBoy

tcsned is correct in his observation, but you can have a distortion in a loop all day if you like, people do it all the time that are driving their amps to distortion ie metal. I would think for a cleaner or transparent type application, you would want the extra EQ to help shape the tone. If you look at that guitar geek site with rig set ups, I remember, not off the top of my head who, seeing guitarists placing their distortion in the FX loop. I saw many "contradictions" everyone goes by as law with effects depending on the application I guess. But if you get to the right place on time, i guess it doesn't matter what roads you take in the end? Maybe try using some good headphones to get a gauge since the room is bad acoustically....but that won't help with the "Actual" sound of things...but it helps me get an idea what could sound good.