rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #80555  by strumminsix
 Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 am
I bought 12U flight case. The interior is a solid wood box then there is padding, of course, around it.

It's likely a gross over simplification but could I just pop in a speaker on a baffle and use it as cab, take the back cover off and use it as an open back cab?

How does that differ from any other open back cab? From most of what I read open back doesn't require much science.

Now please laugh then educate me :)
 #80557  by hogan
 Tue May 25, 2010 9:10 am
It could. Racks are usually made of 3/8" to 1/2" w/ abs skins, you go loud enough it's going to vibrate and buzz, not to mention any hardware.
So it's like asking if a 2X4 could be made into a guitar. It could, but it might not be worth the effort.
 #80558  by strumminsix
 Tue May 25, 2010 9:29 am
hogan wrote:It could. Racks are usually made of 3/8" to 1/2" w/ abs skins, you go loud enough it's going to vibrate and buzz, not to mention any hardware.
So it's like asking if a 2X4 could be made into a guitar. It could, but it might not be worth the effort.
Thanks, dude. Assuming that the rattle was simply controlled, what about the box itself!?
 #80559  by hogan
 Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am
If it's as simple as getting a piece of 1/2" birch ply, cutting some holes in it and mounting the speaks, I say go for it. That ain't much to lose, yaknowhaisayin?
 #80561  by RiverRat
 Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 am
hogan wrote:It could. Racks are usually made of 3/8" to 1/2" w/ abs skins, you go loud enough it's going to vibrate and buzz, not to mention any hardware.
So it's like asking if a 2X4 could be made into a guitar. It could, but it might not be worth the effort.
Oddessy Cases are all wood and heavy.... Rack Rails can be put into a wooden cabinet too!

Peavey used to make a kickback speaker cabinet with a 2U rack space and a 12 or 15" Black Widow installed.

2x4's make for a great lapsteel BTW!
 #80563  by hogan
 Tue May 25, 2010 10:03 am
RiverRat wrote:
Oddessy Cases are all wood and heavy.... Rack Rails can be put into a wooden cabinet too!

Peavey used to make a kickback speaker cabinet with a 2U rack space and a 12 or 15" Black Widow installed.

2x4's make for a great lapsteel BTW!

Ever the contrarian! :lol:
SS mentioned it was a 12u w/ padding, doubt it was an Oddessy.
That peavey cab was a speaker cab first, adding a 2u rack rails isn't adding much.
I'll take your word on the lapsteel!
 #80564  by jdsmodulus
 Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 am
Doesn't Mesa make rack cabs? I know there is a lot of touring bands that have road cases that are contained, usually with a 4x12 or something built into a case alongside of a rack. Mark Karan also used to have a JBL Eon in his case but there it was an actual speaker housed in the rack. I think it would work for you strummin. I would be interrested to know, I have thought about racking my 3x12 in a foam lined case so it is easier to move. If I did it would be cool to just pop the lids and plug it in. But there in again its a cab inside of the rack.
 #80568  by JonnyBoy
 Tue May 25, 2010 11:36 am
I think the idea bout putting a 1x12 or 1x10 in a box and then putting it into the cab sounds ideal, and I doubt you would have a bad sound out of that... It is something worth looking into. Like Hogan said, if its just a small piece of wood and a few fasteners to try it out, whatchagunnahurt? I think its a nifty idea, the bee's knee's even.
 #80569  by strumminsix
 Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 am
hogan wrote:If it's as simple as getting a piece of 1/2" birch ply, cutting some holes in it and mounting the speaks, I say go for it. That ain't much to lose, yaknowhaisayin?
Thanks and will do. Was just curious if the odd sized box or material will impact tone.

Oh, and this is an MT brand cab which look very much like what the boys had in a few pics with this wonderful but odd looking little front stand to tilt it upward.

jdsmodulus wrote:Doesn't Mesa make rack cabs? I know there is a lot of touring bands that have road cases that are contained, usually with a 4x12 or something built into a case alongside of a rack.
Sorta. They are combination of "live in cases" for the head or cab and a rack all in 1. Like this:
http://www.affordable-cases.com/catalog ... styleId=12
 #80571  by hogan
 Tue May 25, 2010 11:59 am
Putting an existing speaker cab into a roadcase/rack type thing isn't going to matter to the speaker cab or sound provided you open the back of the rack.
To Strummin's question about the actual rack case being a cab, and the size of the case effecting sound, I say try it. I've seen 1x12's the size of 2x12's that sounded killer(as per detuned ideaology).
 #80577  by strumminsix
 Tue May 25, 2010 12:35 pm
hogan wrote:To Strummin's question about the actual rack case being a cab, and the size of the case effecting sound, I say try it. I've seen 1x12's the size of 2x12's that sounded killer(as per detuned ideaology).
Thanks. Will test this out and report back in a few weeks.
 #80688  by ugly rumor
 Wed May 26, 2010 5:46 pm
Well, being in a smart-ass mood, Danelectro used to put the whole amp, speaker, the whole works, into the guitar case. So did Silvertone.

And you need at least a 2X6 for a lap steel, dummies!!
 #80690  by JonnyBoy
 Wed May 26, 2010 6:02 pm
ugly rumor wrote:Well, being in a smart-ass mood, Danelectro used to put the whole amp, speaker, the whole works, into the guitar case. So did Silvertone.

And you need at least a 2X6 for a lap steel, dummies!!
You could dowell or biscuit join and glue the 2x4's dummier!! 'm a smarter-ass 8)
 #112173  by Quarterpounder
 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:55 am
I remember seeing a Peavey 1-12 or 1-10 cab that could be mounted in a rack. I've only seen one and I should have bought it. It was in the mid-ninties in Nacogdoches Tx at an army surplus store of all places. It was black and had a 3 sided closed back. I've never seen another, but would love one. I might have to build one.
I have also made a lapsteel out of a 2x6. The power was out so I made it with no electricity. I used a hand drill for the string-through holes and holes for zither pins as tuners. I had a PRS neck pickup(ceramic) lying around and some fat metal bolts for the bridge and nut. A few minutes with a chisel and I was done. The thing can't be touched by any manufactured lapsteel I've come across(I've owned a bunch). It looks like hell, but sounds huge. Never goes out of tune unless you use a zither pin tuning wrench. The pine(guessing) gives it an airyness that I can't find in other lapsteels.