rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #22120  by strumminsix
 Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 pm
I have kept my eyes open for a delay for a good price. Well I've got a line on one for a fair price. It's a vintage MXR Analog Delay but I know very little about delays.

What are your thoughts on this model? I know Jerry used one. I'm thinking of using it for rhythm and accents and inversions more than solos.

Let me know please!

 #22121  by waldo041
 Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:26 pm
just make sure the BBD chip is good. they are the rarest of the rarest. if not, it will have to be reworked to become a digital delay and then it becomes a different beast. if, however it is original and works, it is a pretty decent analog delay.

peace,
waldo

 #22122  by hogan
 Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:39 pm
Meh. I was in the same boat you're in a month ago. I had the oppertunity to play an MXR, Ibanez ad-80, Ibanez ad-99, Maxon ad-900, Ross stereo delay and an Atomic echo clone(which is a Aqua puss board in a different box). All played one after another on the same day, through my guitar and amp so it was a consistant and immeadiate comparison.
In order from worst to best:
Ross
ad-80 only because I'm sure it wasn't calibrated correctly
MXR
ibanez ad99
atomic echo
Maxon ad-900

Like I said, the mxr was no great shakes and in the shadow of the others mentioned by a longshot. Kind of noisy and underwhelming.
I went w/ the Maxon. It, to me was head and shoulders better than the rest. Transparent, no premature oscillation issues, tons of headroom and more than enough delay time than i'd ever need. It's not the cheapest of the bunch, but well worth it. If I had to purchase something other than the maxon it would have been the ibanez AD-99. Very cost effective and sounded nearly as transparent. The Atomic Echo is nice but way too much money. It's more of a collectors piece. YOu can get used Ibanez ad-99 for like a $140 these days, so that's not bad.

Good luck w/ it. ~MJH

 #22124  by dre
 Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm
i don't have much experience with different delay pedals but I was thinking about getting a boss dd 6 for the reverse effect which is pretty tight. the pedal got some really nice reviews.. dunno how you feel about digital though.

 #22132  by strumminsix
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:58 am
waldo041 wrote:just make sure the BBD chip is good. they are the rarest of the rarest. if not, it will have to be reworked to become a digital delay and then it becomes a different beast. if, however it is original and works, it is a pretty decent analog delay.

peace,
waldo
Waldo, How do I check the BBD chip?
hogan wrote:Meh. I was in the same boat you're in a month ago. I had the oppertunity to play an MXR, Ibanez ad-80, Ibanez ad-99, Maxon ad-900, Ross stereo delay and an Atomic echo clone
Coo, Hogan! What were you looking for in a delay? Also what qualities did you find in the MXR? I'm not sold on it just the price it's doing for :)

 #22170  by tigerstrat
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:16 pm
Never tried or heard the Ross or the 99, but I did get a chance to hang out with a vintage Ibanez AD-80, a Maxon AD-80 reissue, a Way Huge Aquapuss and a Maxon AD-900 all at the same time for about a month or two... I've played an MXR for shorter time, separately.

Interestingly my ranking (using the same worst to best order... although they were all pretty great)

AD-900 excellent but slightly too hi-fi for my taste/style... good amount of delay time. Probably one of the best possible available compromises between analog and digital. Would be very happy to use one anytime.

Aquapuss! Sounded a bit better, but the one I had had very very short delay time... very limiting.

reissue AD-80: Much like the AP in sound quality but just a bit more delay time seemed to open up the pedal's usability a TON.

original AD-80 ... delay time somewhat limited but the warm, gurgly... liquid SOUND!! ...and the INFINITE (-FINITE, -INITE, -NITE, -TE<<<) repeat! Either very subtle and warm or totally,ly,lyfreaking,eaking,ing out! (out, out..)

sort of a tie but tops goes to

MXR: simply because Jerry used it to make the most beautiful musicks on one... 1978 (or 79? I'm losing my mental timeline) through 1981. Taste it on the Space from 2/27/81, or Playin In The Band 11/6/79... Comes A Time 8/19/80.. Looks Like Rain...
Last edited by tigerstrat on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

 #22177  by strumminsix
 Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:22 pm
Hey guys. Just found out his ad was a bit misleading. It's not the green MXR Delay like I thought it's the black 80s model called a time delay and an early one at that - no mix knob so I'm gonna pass....

I have no need and barely a desire for delay but I figured if I can find something good and cheep I will. Just looking for a little slap-back.

I'm now pondering the Danelectro FAB Echo. I know it's cheap and prolly not the greatest but I'm just looking for something a little spacey and trippy.
 #113072  by seamones
 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:40 am
in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.
 #113073  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48 am
seamones wrote:in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.
+1 on the Carbon Copy. Nicest sounding delay to my ears, so far! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113082  by Grateful Dad
 Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:16 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:
seamones wrote:in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.
+1 on the Carbon Copy. Nicest sounding delay to my ears, so far! :smile: :smile: :smile:
I just got one, what are your preferred/recommended settings for a Bobby tone?
 #113094  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 pm
Grateful Dad wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:
seamones wrote:in my humblest of opinions, you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy. I like soooo much better than the Deluxe Memory Man I used to have.
+1 on the Carbon Copy. Nicest sounding delay to my ears, so far! :smile: :smile: :smile:
I just got one, what are your preferred/recommended settings for a Bobby tone?
I only use it for Jerry solo stuff and very sparingly, except for certain songs. Mostly very little regen at all. Mix and delay at about 8 or 9 o'clock. Modulation off. Not sure for Bobby tone, but I'm sure a Bobby player will let ya know!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113495  by Pete B.
 Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 am
So the big green 70's MXR Analog Delay model 118 has arrived and it is like brand new looking (this pic is the actual pedal, but not my settings).
It has the Reticon Chipset. No visible tampering/mod/etc.
I've been playing with it on Guitar (and Pedal Steel) this morning and it sounds great.
'Been jammin' Cold R&R, Cumberland, Black Throated, Eyes... sounds cool.
My settings are Deley: 3 o'clock, Mix: 7-8 o'clock, Regen: 9-10 o'clock.
This thing is bigger than it looks in the picture... almost as big as a MuTron_III, and heavey/solid.
Anyone have the original manual or box? I would like to get those someday.
Image