rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#77545  by hogan
 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 pm
I should also say TS, if you ever find yourself in the Western New York region and don't stop by for a test drive, a beer and a bat hit, I will be deeply offended.
 #77551  by tigerstrat
 Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:21 pm
hogan wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
hogan wrote:Image
:?
Make an offer, hotshot. :lol:
I ain't got near that kinda scratch. I should post pics of my new mod to my Schecter, which I may bring out at my next show. Basically, it now has 80's MIJ strat pups in the H-H positions, and waldo's TBC-1. My poor man's Wolf.
 #84792  by tigerstrat
 Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:27 pm
tigerstrat wrote: I should post pics of my new mod to my Schecter, which I may bring out at my next show. Basically, it now has 80's MIJ strat pups in the H-H positions, and waldo's TBC-1. My poor man's Wolf.
Well I've already ditched the strat pups from my Schecter. Too ice-picky and sensitive. I have now re-installed the OEM Duncans, but more significantly, routed the middle space and added a Super Distortion there, hardwired as a single coil. Gigged on it Saturday night with my JGB unit. Fatness! Awe. Some. The top music clip on our facebook page is "Catfish John" from Sat., played on this guitar: http://www.facebook.com/catsunderthestars
 #84815  by tigerstrat
 Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey Dudes of Admin: shouldn't this be a sticky thread... and possibly moved to the Eqpt discussion?
 #84837  by strumminsix
 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 am
tigerstrat wrote:Hey Dudes of Admin: shouldn't this be a sticky thread... and possibly moved to the Eqpt discussion?
Are you talking about this forum: "Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion"

Unless you can tell me Jerry was a lefty and played that sweet axe of yours I'll say not.

However I do agree that this forum of "Guitar" is limiting and we likely need a broader "Gear" section.
 #84852  by tigerstrat
 Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:39 am
strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Hey Dudes of Admin: shouldn't this be a sticky thread... and possibly moved to the Eqpt discussion?

Unless you can tell me Jerry was a lefty and played that sweet axe of yours I'll say not.

However I do agree that this forum of "Guitar" is limiting and we likely need a broader "Gear" section.
Nick, if actual use by the Dead is the requirement, I see boatloads of off-topic threads in "Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion", the vast majority of them in fact.
 #84853  by strumminsix
 Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:46 am
tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

Nick, if actual use by the Dead is the requirement, I see boatloads of off-topic threads in "Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion", the vast majority of them in fact.
Tom, you are right, it's cluttered up and much is off-topic, IMO. I'm of the opinion "GD Equip Disc" should be limited to gear (brand and model) that the members of the GD used. But if I actually tried to push that I'd likely spend more time moving threads than enjoying this little haven of GD music, musicians & networking.
 #87982  by 1960strat
 Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:26 pm
Here is my Jerry rig, finally.. Warmoth WGD (the first made) ->SMS->MC2105 -> SSP Cab.

Rack for GCX and Effects needs to get built.

BTW while i was getting things together, i was listening to phish on the Mac into one of my 5" B&W bookshelf speakers. Wow, no wonder audiophiles love these amps, it sounded incredible.
Attachments
Jer Rig.jpg
New Rig
Jer Rig.jpg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
 #87997  by 1960strat
 Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:44 am
jdsmodulus wrote:nice rig there man! Any details on the Warmoth? OBEL? looks like Super IIs? what effects? Thanks
According to the guy i bought it from he made the drawings of the shape and asked the warmouth guys to make it for him. This was back in 99 or 2000. Apparently after they made it the Warmouth guys asked if they could keep the drawings to make more. That is the same shape they produce today. Some folks on this board know "Denver Dan" and said this is true, so i believe it.

It has 3 super 2's, coil tapped, the cutler buffer, and no obel.

As for FX, garcia related, i am using a miniQtron, Vintage mxr dist +, EH mini POG octave, and vintage mxr phase 100 script.

Other FX i use: 2 analogman tubescreamers, analogman bi-comp, moogerfooger analog delay or Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, fulltone ocd, Hermida Zendrive.

I cant get over how great this thing sounds. it is so clean at power, not a tingle of break up. Love it. i am going to be testing it with all the effects today, but damn i love the straight ahead clean sound.
 #87999  by waldo041
 Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 am
1960strat wrote:It has 3 super 2's, coil tapped, the cutler buffer, and no obel.

not trying to start a firestorm, or be rude whatsoever, but the cb1, cb2 or jangletone are NOT "cutler" buffers. the cb1 is a "Redesign" of the actual cutler buffer circuit done by peter miller and cae sound. it uses a different opamp, resistor values, added caps for more power filtering, and a Tantalum output cap. so while they do advertise as "Originally designed by John Cutler for Jerry Garcia" they leave out the fact that it was totally redesigned by them, thus not being what jerry actually used.

sorry to jack the thread, but just wanted to reiterate the facts about the cb1.

peace,
waldo
 #88013  by waldo041
 Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:21 pm
1960strat wrote:My bad. I didn't really know the history. That seems kinda lame if you ask me.
it is what it is. the cb1 is a very good preamp, as is the cb2 and jangletone. each with it's own character. it's just that the cb1 is deceptively advertised as something it is not, and that is the only lame thing about it.

peace,
waldo
 #88023  by gdrfk1990
 Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:27 pm
my rig is a self made tribute style guitar the shape is not exact it was drawn by me it is 3/8 cocobolo top Maple center and 3/8 cocobolo back I hollowed some of it out to keep the weight down. It has 2 super II's not coil tapped with waldo tpc1sm buffer and no obel. Into Boss SD 1 Boss OD1 Mutron III Boss DD-3 Voodoo Vibe into a fender Deluxe Reverb 65 re-issue. I just got the reissue and waldo's buffer I am loving my tone now. The next step is to get the pedal switcher with true bypass I don't know much about this though then I want the midiverb 4