#111319  by Dozin

Ouch! Do you fly with your main axe? Might think twice about it after this. Even the neck was knocked off the guitar.

#111321  by gr8fullfred

Yes I fly with my most prized main axe. I carry it on, place it in the overhead bin, or on occasion, at the request of the flight attendants,in the first class closet. (If they ask me to place it in the closet, I place it there myself).

I have checked in a guitar or two, but just a strat, nothing nice or anything.

There is a wavier from TSA on guitars (actually its musical instruments). You are allowed to carry on one guitar, in addition to the regular rules for carry on. Got it? You can carry on one guitar IN ADDITION TO WHATEVER THE NORMAL CARRY ON RULES ARE.

I have a letter from TSA stating this, and I have only had to flash it once.

There is only one thing worse than checking in your prized axe, and that is shipping it via UPS!
 #111325  by ebick

gr8fullfred wrote:Yes I fly with my most prized main axe. I carry it on, place it in the overhead bin, or on occasion, at the request of the flight attendants,in the first class closet. (If they ask me to place it in the closet, I place it there myself).

I have checked in a guitar or two, but just a strat, nothing nice or anything.

There is a wavier from TSA on guitars (actually its musical instruments). You are allowed to carry on one guitar, in addition to the regular rules for carry on. Got it? You can carry on one guitar IN ADDITION TO WHATEVER THE NORMAL CARRY ON RULES ARE.

I have a letter from TSA stating this, and I have only had to flash it once.

There is only one thing worse than checking in your prized axe, and that is shipping it via UPS!
Are you sure it's
>IN ADDITION TO WHATEVER THE NORMAL CARRY ON RULES ARE.

I thought it was your one carry on......anyone have a link to that reg?

Of course, you're all familiar with this, right?

#111336  by WildEye

No the TSA cannot make you "check it".

Before 911 on new years eve I was flying with my guitar - I was told I "must check it the overheads are full". Well I disagreed and proceeded to show the flight attendant how if I pulled everything out of one overhead I could put my guitar in and place everything back in - yep it worked. What didn't work was right after I showed her that everything fit I was lifted of my feet and carried off the plane.... Yeah this happened before 9/11 (I'm sure if it happened after I would not be typing this). So I did not make it back for the NYE party I was hosting (in all fairness it was still going on when I got in...)

So aside from me liking to tell the story where I was carried like a coffin off a plane I want to add "be polite and firm with the utmost respect" and they should accommodate you. If not don't yell "the terrorist have already won"> :lol:

And BTW that totally sucks - thats a SWEET guitar!
 #111339  by ebick

WildEye wrote:No the TSA cannot make you "check it".

Before 911 on new years eve I was flying with my guitar - I was told I "must check it the overheads are full". Well I disagreed and proceeded to show the flight attendant how if I pulled everything out of one overhead I could put my guitar in and place everything back in - yep it worked. What didn't work was right after I showed her that everything fit I was lifted of my feet and carried off the plane.... Yeah this happened before 9/11 (I'm sure if it happened after I would not be typing this). So I did not make it back for the NYE party I was hosting (in all fairness it was still going on when I got in...)

So aside from me liking to tell the story where I was carried like a coffin off a plane I want to add "be polite and firm with the utmost respect" and they should accommodate you. If not don't yell "the terrorist have already won"> :lol:

And BTW that totally sucks - thats a SWEET guitar!
Yeah, that's exactly right....the flight attendants have ALL THE POWER.....and if they don't know the ruling (or care) there's nothing you can do.
 #111346  by Dozin

This is what I found from TSA: Ultimately it's the airlines

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1235.shtm

Transporting Musical Instruments

You may bring musical instruments as carry-on or as checked baggage. To help passengers who are traveling with instruments, we partnered with musical organizations around the country to understand the challenges of transporting musical instruments, and we recommend the following.

Check with your airline prior to your flight to ensure your instrument meets the size requirements for their aircraft.

Pack brass instruments in your checked baggage.

Bring your stringed instruments, within carrier size limitations, as carry-on items.

If you have an instrument in your checked baggage, include short written instructions, where a security officer will notice them, for handling and repacking your instrument. Make sure these instructions are very clear and understandable to someone with no musical background.

Carrying Instruments Through Screening Checkpoints

You may carry one (1) musical instrument in addition to 1 carry-on and 1 personal item through the screening checkpoint. This is a TSA Screening Policy. Airlines may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your airline before you arrive at the airport.

Security officers must x-ray or physically screen your instrument before it can be transported on an aircraft.

Security officers will handle musical instruments very carefully and will allow you to be as involved as possible in any physical screening.

If security officers cannot clear the instrument through the security checkpoint as a carry-on item, you should transport the instrument and checked baggage instead.

Instruments as Checked Baggage

You may bring musical instruments as checked baggage as long as they fit within the size and weight limitations of the airline you are taking.

We encourage you to stay with your instrument while security officers screen it to make sure it is repacked properly.

Owners should be present when an instrument is removed from its case for screening. For this reason, musicians are advised to add at least 30 minutes to the airline's recommended arrival window when checking their instrument.
 #111351  by Dozin

strumminsix wrote:I believe Rich's theory was the it was dropped from the cargo net from the cruise, yes?
Nope, JetBlue
 #111355  by ebick

Dozin wrote:This is what I found from TSA: Ultimately it's the airlines

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1235.shtm

Transporting Musical Instruments

You may bring musical instruments as carry-on or as checked baggage. To help passengers who are traveling with instruments, we partnered with musical organizations around the country to understand the challenges of transporting musical instruments, and we recommend the following.

Check with your airline prior to your flight to ensure your instrument meets the size requirements for their aircraft.

Pack brass instruments in your checked baggage.

Bring your stringed instruments, within carrier size limitations, as carry-on items.

If you have an instrument in your checked baggage, include short written instructions, where a security officer will notice them, for handling and repacking your instrument. Make sure these instructions are very clear and understandable to someone with no musical background.

Carrying Instruments Through Screening Checkpoints

You may carry one (1) musical instrument in addition to 1 carry-on and 1 personal item through the screening checkpoint. This is a TSA Screening Policy. Airlines may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your airline before you arrive at the airport.

Security officers must x-ray or physically screen your instrument before it can be transported on an aircraft.

Security officers will handle musical instruments very carefully and will allow you to be as involved as possible in any physical screening.

If security officers cannot clear the instrument through the security checkpoint as a carry-on item, you should transport the instrument and checked baggage instead.

Instruments as Checked Baggage

You may bring musical instruments as checked baggage as long as they fit within the size and weight limitations of the airline you are taking.

We encourage you to stay with your instrument while security officers screen it to make sure it is repacked properly.

Owners should be present when an instrument is removed from its case for screening. For this reason, musicians are advised to add at least 30 minutes to the airline's recommended arrival window when checking their instrument.
Yes, so let's examine a couple of the finer points.
Airlines may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your airline before you arrive at the airport.
So....you can carry that paper, but ultimately, if the flight attendent says no, nothing you can do.

Additionally, if it is a full flight and they are telling you that they need the room for other passengers....you would be il-advised to argue.
 #111357  by gr8fulbluz

i hate to say it. The only way to be sure of the safety of your instrument is to buy it the seat next to you. Not many people can afford to do that. Over heads fill up for everything cannot rely on them being available. You can get one of their credit cards to try to get early boarding priority before the overheads fill. Still too many variables for me. just my 2 cent.

Travel is what i do for my day job.
It kills me to see this. uggggg.
so sorry man.
 #111358  by Dozin

Guys, this wasn't my guitar. It was "The Man's" guitar. You'd think they'd take extra precaution with his stuff. It goes to show it happens to the best of them.

It was repaired and it's back on stage. Can't even tell that it happened.
 #111359  by strumminsix

Dozin wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I believe Rich's theory was the it was dropped from the cargo net from the cruise, yes?
Nope, JetBlue
Was that sucks. When he and I spoke he said it was after Jam Cruise and that he thought it must have been dropped from a cargo net cuz the damage was around severe impact. I guess more info surfaced. To bad the status wasn't lessened from severe :(