rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#108048  by helio
 Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 am
To the OP:

As you search for a hard tail bridge, also consider blocking your current trem system so it "becomes" a hardtail.

I have a parts-caster strat that has a blocked trem. Some previous owner did a very nice job with it. They inserted a very nice piece of wood (maple from a neck build project? Not sure) into the cavity between the trem block and the body. It fits in there perfectly, with a nice tight fit.

I can't tell you how much of the guitar's current tone comes from this blocking, but I can tell you this this strat sounds amazing. Rich, complex tone, great sustain, very responsive to picking dynamics, etc. And I don't think the trem bridge/block are all that great. Definitely not top of the line. But with the blocking, doesn't seem to matter.

You'll need to consult folks smarter than I to really judge the tonal merits of blocking a trem vs a hartail. I suspect that the extra ~ 4 or 5 square inches of contact it creates between the bridge assembly and the body wood make a big difference, but that's just my gut feeling.

Regardless, this guitar sounds great. Good enough for me to blabber on here about the merits of blocking. Look into it!
 #108068  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 am
A properly blocked strat trem is essentially a string through hard tail! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #108525  by austinhumphrey
 Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:37 pm
i have a dean with a floyd rose bridge, and it works great for me. sounds great, always stays in tune and i haven't had any trouble with it. i don't want one for my next guitar but that's only because i don't find myself using a wammy bar with it that often. guitarfetish.com has a bunch of great stuff on as far as parts go