rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#87276  by CoolBreeze
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:05 am
That may or may not be Alligator- that was a show over in Europe, and their equipment was already en route to the next show. Everybody is playing borrowed instruments. There's a nice article (somewhere) about this "epic" backyard show- I'll see if I can dig it up!
 #87277  by ugly rumor
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:12 am
Phil rocking without a pick! Remember too, he had only been playing for about 5 or 6 years at the time of this video!! What a genius!
 #87278  by waldo041
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:41 am
CoolBreeze wrote:That may or may not be Alligator- that was a show over in Europe, and their equipment was already en route to the next show. Everybody is playing borrowed instruments. There's a nice article (somewhere) about this "epic" backyard show- I'll see if I can dig it up!
the melkweg show in amsterdam was the borrowed instrument show. this was the first trek over to europe and they were unable to play do to the weather i believe. so before heading back without even playing a note they thru an impromtu show on the chataeu lawn where they stayed for the press and village. and that IS there equipment.

melkweg

peace,
waldo
 #87283  by mkaufman
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:07 am
Something is strange about that video: at the beginning of Sugar Mag, you can hear Weir playing the opening riff with the individual notes, yet, in the video, he's just strumming w/out playing individual notes.

mk
 #87284  by broesau
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:23 am
That's pretty sweet. Rocking show for a 4 piece band, no Pigpen. One thing I noticed about Alligator is that it looks stock except for the Alembic knobs. Phil looks like a preppie.
 #87285  by tigerstrat
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:42 am
broesau wrote:That's pretty sweet. Rocking show for a 4 piece band, no Pigpen. One thing I noticed about Alligator is that it looks stock except for the Alembic knobs. Phil looks like a preppie.
Pigpen is on this gig. Have you seen the Hard To Handle yet? Phil looks like he got that bad haircut right before the show!
 #87290  by jeffm725
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 am
mkaufman wrote:Something is strange about that video: at the beginning of Sugar Mag, you can hear Weir playing the opening riff with the individual notes, yet, in the video, he's just strumming w/out playing individual notes.

mk
not only that Mike but you can here Jerry playing notes high on the neck but in the video his hand is in first position also the first verse vocal harmonies are almost a little too perfect. Something is strange, I agree. However after the initial intor and opening lines things do seem to lineup.
I bet there was an audio clip missing from the video and someone overdubbed a clip
Last edited by jeffm725 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #87293  by strumminsix
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 am
mkaufman wrote:Something is strange about that video: at the beginning of Sugar Mag, you can hear Weir playing the opening riff with the individual notes, yet, in the video, he's just strumming w/out playing individual notes.

mk
First thing that caught my eye.
 #87295  by hogan
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 am
there's a crossfade at 10 seconds so who knows what you are looking at for those first 10 seconds. Editing is your enemy
The sbds synch however.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-06- ... sbeok.shnf

The film is edited up and down and pieced together.
Those opening harmonies are actually how they went down. A broken clock's right twice a day as they say. :lol:
 #87314  by jeffm725
 Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 pm
hogan wrote:there's a crossfade at 10 seconds so who knows what you are looking at for those first 10 seconds. Editing is your enemy
The sbds synch however.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-06- ... sbeok.shnf

The film is edited up and down and pieced together.
Those opening harmonies are actually how they went down. A broken clock's right twice a day as they say. :lol:
Crossfade would explain it, thanks Hogan.

I know that they kept the opening line harmonies going for Sugar Mag for a couple years after AmericanBeauty before they dropped it, but that one there is just about album perfect! Right twice a day Indeed! It was not just that the 3 part was on the money, but the lushness of all 3 voices shocked me. It was a perfect storm when Phil, Bob and Jer were all in such good voice at the SAME time.