rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #84969  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:35 pm
an old jazz standard would be cool - Willie Nelson does a cool All of Me and Blue Skies - a Django Tune maybe . . .
 #84973  by jefkahn
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:42 pm
amyjared wrote:And I always wanted to hear Jerry do some Steely Dan, like Josie or Bodhisattva or FM!
FM, great choice! He would so use the Mutron on that, too!
 #84974  by Pete B.
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:20 pm
tcsned wrote:an old jazz standard would be cool - Willie Nelson does a cool All of Me and Blue Skies - a Django Tune maybe . . .
Jerry woulda ripped on Willies version of Blue Skies, which is a musically fun version on guitar (both tunes are on Willies "Stardust" album").

I always wanted to hear Jer sing "Midnight Train to Georgia"...
I Got To Go...
I Got To Go...
I Got To Go...
:cool:
 #84975  by Billbbill
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 pm
There are a bunch but when/if (though more like when) we stray to material that isn't already within the dead/jgb world my first choice would likely be Smash Mouths Walkin On The Sun. Love the 60's-ish vibe of that song. Not thrilled with what seems like a diss of "hippie chick hypocrites" but I'll manage. Seems like it has some serious jammability to me.
 #85136  by jefkahn
 Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 am
How about John Denver's Back Home Again for a West Coast encore?
 #85176  by tcsned
 Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:15 am
Pete B. wrote: I always wanted to hear Jer sing "Midnight Train to Georgia"...
I Got To Go...
I Got To Go...
I Got To Go...
:cool:
lol - we used to do that tune with the acoustic trio - he would have to get Phil, Bobby, & the rest to put on flashy, sparkly jumpsuits and do Pips dance moves :) I loved playing that tune.

Also, a cool old blues tune that Clapton covered "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out"
 #85179  by Pete B.
 Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 am
tcsned wrote:
Pete B. wrote: I always wanted to hear Jer sing "Midnight Train to Georgia"...
I Got To Go...
I Got To Go...
I Got To Go...
:cool:
lol - we used to do that tune with the acoustic trio - he would have to get Phil, Bobby, & the rest to put on flashy, sparkly jumpsuits and do Pips dance moves :) I loved playing that tune.

Also, a cool old blues tune that Clapton covered "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out"
I'm thinkin' "Midnight Train" was probably better suited for a JGB and the Jerry-ettes break-out. 8)
 #85273  by strumminsix
 Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:24 am
I'll be ready to ban myself but here is another thought:
Hold On I'm Coming

Jerry take the first half of the verse, Bobby the second. Hmmm, coulda been fun.



Pete B. wrote:Here's a Standard i just came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY-getIL ... re=related

I'd take a version of this over any Bobby 3 chord blues tune.
I love it but man oh man am I hearing the clams and single note compensations for not knowing the chords.
 #85275  by Pete B.
 Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 am
I love it but man oh man am I hearing the clams and single note compensations for not knowing the chords.
Jer bends the strings more on those Keystone records than in any other context.
'Love his tone though.

Please don't take away the idea that it is O.K. to play "hunt & peck" solos when performing a JG tribute!
:?
Last edited by Pete B. on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.