rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#84909  by tigerstrat
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:11 am
"Misty Mountain Hop"

Jerry on the main part of the verse "Walkin' in the park just the other day, baby..."

Bob on the verse tails: "Waddya! waddya think I saw-w-w-w!?"
 #84911  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 am
tigerstrat wrote:"Misty Mountain Hop"

Jerry on the main part of the verse "Walkin' in the park just the other day, baby..."

Bob on the verse tails: "Waddya! waddya think I saw-w-w-w!?"
that would've been cool
 #84912  by DeadlyHeptet
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 am
Scarborough Fair as one of their moody, late in the second set pieces. They did that sort of thing so well and I think this would lend itself to being stretched into a nice jam also.
 #84920  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 am
DeadlyHeptet wrote:Scarborough Fair as one of their moody, late in the second set pieces. They did that sort of thing so well and I think this would lend itself to being stretched into a nice jam also.
cool tune tough for the boys to pull off vocally
 #84937  by rkubik
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 pm
The one I thought the other day was Crimson and Clover. All I can think of is how well Jerry pulled off Shining Star. I think his solo work would really come out and make it awesome. I am sure I will think of some more but that one I think could be pretty cool.
 #84940  by jdasa
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm
How 'bout some extended Pink Floyd Jams- Echoes or One of These Days.

I also always wanted hear Bobby sing Brown Sugar.

Or Jerry singing Trenchtown Rock.
 #84943  by DeadlyHeptet
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:02 pm
tcsned wrote:
DeadlyHeptet wrote:Scarborough Fair as one of their moody, late in the second set pieces. They did that sort of thing so well and I think this would lend itself to being stretched into a nice jam also.

No, they couldn't cover the harmonies, Jerry would sing it alone in his creaky, emotive voice.

Now I could come up with a much longer list of tunes they should never have done.
 #84950  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:23 pm
DeadlyHeptet wrote:
tcsned wrote:

No, they couldn't cover the harmonies, Jerry would sing it alone in his creaky, emotive voice.

Now I could come up with a much longer list of tunes they should never have done.
well played sir. :D
 #84952  by Maybeck09
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:26 pm
Fun subject!
When I first read Scarborough Fair I thought-oh yeah, that would have been great, but you are right-they would have hacked up that vocal something good. Can you imagine Phil singing on that?

back to the knopfler, who is one of my favorites as well. What about instead of Sultans, which is so strict in its arrangement, how about something like Telegraph Road? Played in Berkeley, of course, but with the long build up jam, a la Morning Dew, at the end. That might be fun.
 #84954  by NWPines
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm
How about "Till I Gain Control Again" by Rodney Crowell. I think that the GD, or better yet the Garcia Band could have done an incredibly powerful version.
 #84955  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 pm
NWPines wrote:How about "Till I Gain Control Again" by Rodney Crowell. I think that the GD, or better yet the Garcia Band could have done an incredibly powerful version.
Cool tune. I love Rodney Crowell - my bluegrass band used to "Song for Life" that would also be a cool ballad for Jerry to sing.
 #84960  by NWPines
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:40 pm
tcsned wrote:Cool tune. I love Rodney Crowell - my bluegrass band used to "Song for Life" that would also be a cool ballad for Jerry to sing.
Yeah, it was actually your post suggesting a Willie tune that got me thinking of this. I absolutely love the version on the '78 Willie and Family Live album. Jerrified, it would be incredible!
 #84963  by amyjared
 Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:33 pm
I always wanted Bobby to bust out Peace Frog!
And I always wanted to hear Jerry do some Steely Dan, like Josie or Bodhisattva or FM!