rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#82824  by mrMix
 Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 am
Something to ponder on a Holiday weekend (Happy 4th!)

Was listening to some shows and came across 2 lines in two songs:
-First in Truckin' - "Sometimes the light's all shinning on me" to which Hunter attributes that lyric to the Band putting it in the song
-Second from Just a Little Light - "Gimme some sweetness, Just a little light"
So looking at The Annotated Dead Lyrics site (http://tinyurl.com/23cyksq) Dodd doesn't have much on the "Gimme some sweetness, Just a little light" lyric. I contend that this was Brent's call for a bit more "spotlight" time with the audience in contrast to Bobby's "Light's always shinning on me" . Brent wanted to be heard. We did get more Brent on Built to Last before his passing.
Discuss....
 #82926  by jeffm725
 Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:19 pm
Didnt Barlow write the lyrics for Just a little light?

In light :smile: of that I think in this case you may be reaching a bit. However, your personal take on Brent feeling he was not equal with the rest of the band is an accurate one that tormented him until the end. This is something I can state unequivocally because he told me that personally. (In my Hotel room for 4 hours 3/31/85 after the Portland Maine show)
 #82942  by tigerstrat
 Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm
not going to speculate too much about that, but isn't it "lights are shining" ??
 #82951  by krzykat
 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 am
I believe it is are shining on me. And as fart a little liught, I think the little light was his daughter. The one thing in his life that made him slow down enough that he can appreciate! Something shines around you and it seems to m delight to give you just a little sweetness, just a little light