rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#82176  by ker1227
 Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm
thats funny, Seems to me like there was no love loss between jerry/billy and mic
 #82181  by bodiddley
 Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 pm
Great stuff! Always a treat to see some "new" footage.
 #82185  by Pete B.
 Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 am
Has anyone read the Sam Cutler book on his travels with The Stones/Dead?
 #82196  by Harvestwind
 Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:06 pm
Pete B. wrote:Has anyone read the Sam Cutler book on his travels with The Stones/Dead?
I read it about twelve or eighteen months ago. Sam Cutler had a big time falling out with the Stones but still considers himself a member of the Dead family. He describes the two bands as polar opposites as far as management and performance style is concerned. The Dead had the hippie family approach and the Stones were all big business. Mick Jagger in particular is described as extremely calculating and manipulative which seems to be a fairly general opinion of the man.

A lot of what he wrote about his Dead experiences revolve around the '72 Europe Tour, which personally contains most of my favourite live Dead material. I never saw the band live, but if I could turn back the clock, those would be the shows I would choose to attend. (Along with Woodstock and Monterey of course!)

Cutler also spends a lot of time distancing himself from the events of Altamont and has some interesting conspiracy theories such as bad acid being deliberately distributed free to the audience by some FBI style secret squirrel group. The impression you get is that the show was a disaster waiting to happen.