#3627  by Crowhead

I've been reading this board for a month or so and I have to say that it looks like Bobby takes allot of heat from you guys. Lets just establish that Jerry existed on a different plain than the rest of us but Bobby was/is also great.
I just want to give a little credit where credit is due.
My favorite Bobby song is either Cassidy or The Other One, depends on my state of mind.
So...lets pay our respects to one of the greats.
What is your favorite Bobby song?

#3630  by strumminsix

Bobby is the man. He kept the GD rockin' while many others were moving at a slower pace. Say whatever anyone wants out of a first set but it got ya moving not just swaying.

Some favs: TOO, Cassiday, BT Wind, Stranger, Jack Straw

#3631  by Benthegoodbum

Right now my favorite Bobby song is definitely Cassidy. The lyrics are so colorful and the music is just spot on with that song.

#3634  by Billbbill

Jack Straw
Lazy Lightning
Estimated

Among others...

#3635  by jck_strw

Jack Straw
Playin'
Greatest Story
Music Never Stopped
My Brother Esau

#3636  by phpbb

lost sailor
masterpiece
brother esau

#3637  by ebick

lazy lightning
easu
cassidy
music never stopped

I think Bob got himself some bad raps for a couple of things.

1) he was more repetitve then Jerry in song selection, mainly because he had less to choose from, but still. In the spring of 77, they played Estimated virtually every night, then after that, still very often. Same thing happened with Lost Sailor/Saint, then Throwing Stones. All of which are great songs, but it got to the point where you were disappointed because you'd heard them so many times.......the whole Me & My Uncle/Mama Tried/Mexicalli/Big River thing, same thing. And who could forget the every other day CC Rider/Little Red Rooster phase. We wanted the band to be unpredictable, and Bob was often predictable. And he did have a number of songs that he left on the shelf. Black Throated.....great song, on the shelf for many years. Born Cross-Eyed. Walk In The Sunshine never made an appearance. I also thought he could have done more of the Pig songs.

2) The Ha!'s, and antics like that. He would often go overboard. Although, I will say this in his defense. In the parking lot, you'd hear everyone complain about the Ha!'s, but during the show, people would always cheer. Can anyone of us say thatif we were on that stage and we did something that made the crowd cheer, we would not continue and expand on it?

#3638  by ded1hed

i always liked black throated wind

as far as bobby goes a lot of that criticism is joking at least in my circles. except for the slide playing jokes :lol: . dont get me wrong i kinda wish jerry would have sang every song, but bobby is ok. a great rhythm player.

anybody seen that downhill from here dvd bob weir is in daisy duke lookin short shorts playing a casio. so he hasnt helped himself over the years.

#3640  by jahozer

corrina
easy answers
eternity
:twisted:
Just kidding. I agree with everything posted here actually. Bobby has some great songs. Estimated, jack straw, music never stopped, etc. etc.
He was a very integral part of the sound and style.
He was a very good front man and kept the energy up. He also a very insightful rythm guitar player.
But he was also a giant cheeeeezeball in cutoff shorts and pink polo shirts, making high pitched sounds. He also says a bunch of dumb shit off stage.
Ed, you are right with the repetitiveness. Let me add Throwin Stones>NFA to that list. Alot of what you mentioned, when I look back are good and all, but seeing alot of shows, you just dreaded certain ones. Even now, seeing the new 'dead' two summers ago, I'm like, "Little Red Rooster!?!?!? What the fuck. I've been taking a piss to this song for 20 fucking years!!!"

#3641  by mikeohiostate

Sugar Magnolia is pretty good, but it gets old after the end of a tour.....

What do you mean by the "HA!"?

#3643  by strumminsix

Some cool points.... However if Jerry sang every song the GD might have ended before they even started. Part of the passion and excitement is the different vocalists and different writers.

A whole show of Hunter/Garcia may have gotten a bit boring.

Then think of the shows when JG couldn't remember lyrics at least he had Bobby and Brent fully on their lyrical game. Just imagine a whole show of flubbed lyrics.

#3644  by ded1hed

bob def. carried them later but early on you didnt hear jerry flub many lyrics, that jerry and the dead was a different beast. good at times but not magical.

#3645  by tigerstrat

Other One
Let It Grow
Playin' In The Band
Estimated Prophet
Greatest Story
Looks Like Rain

and a few dozen runners-up

#3646  by strumminsix

ded1hed wrote:bob def. carried them later but early on you didnt hear jerry flub many lyrics, that jerry and the dead was a different beast. good at times but not magical.
Late 60s GD is the most magical, IMO espeacially with TC.

Those jams were long, upbeat, explorative, timings were awesome, Phil had more tone than boom. Just magical, IMO.

I've yet to hear much better than a Hard to Handle psychedelic jam back into the main riff followed closely by a sick climbing upbeat HCS jam back into the main riff.

That to me was magical. But we all love the GD for different reasons!

#3647  by AugustWest

I love Bob Wier! just thought I'd get that out there. Man I thought bobby brought amazing songs to the table for the dead. Loved all of them (except victim and money money ha ha glad they didn't play that one much.)

Personal Favs.

Jackstraw
The other one
Let it Grow
Throwing stones
Cassidy
Truckin
BTW
Playing in the Band
and bob understood the ends and outs of all the dylan songs he covers.