rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#2865  by HOWEYMAN
 Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 pm
I am in the midst of trying to burn the note locations of the guitar into my brain. I have about half memorized fairly well. I know I need to just sit down and practice finding each note of every scale up and down the fret board, which I have been doing (of course I loose concentration and start jamming and don't stay focused, but thats my own fault, lolo,) anyways, I was searching out for imput on memorizing the fretboard and techniques to know where I am at when playing. I know the step patterns already and such. I am now just trying to burn it into my brain. Any suggestions out there for when I am actually concetrating. I can point out any note on the guitar, with a second or two thought, or using a note location I have burned already, but that is not much use when your trying to play a tune or solo. I'm just looking for something else to go with practice, practice, practice. peace :-)

#2868  by strumminsix
 Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:17 pm
I say it is better to memorize the relationship between notes rather than just the notes.

A good way to do this is to play scales and say the note you are playing.

To my fault, I just have the roots memorized and then memorized the roots fret relationships to the strings up and down from it.

#2869  by Billbbill
 Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:38 pm
I've got a post in the he's gone section that deals with Jerry's end blues jam where he'd sing and play the notes. Playing and singing/saying the notes is the best way to internalize intervals.

You can also try playing and singing the notes of a particular songs melody.

#2872  by spilly
 Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 pm
that what i was talking about in my recent "mode use" post. I was taught the modes as a mean to memorize the neck.
run the basic mode possitions, as you run them think about what notes your playing. you'll eventually just know what every note is