#47106  by CountryMile Cadillac

Zack wrote: 3. What's the story on Little Star? Never heard it.

3. Didn't Phil write Passenger?

Hell looks like you got all the answers, you should know, although you don't count very well...

#47107  by jonarobb

Zack wrote:
jonarobb wrote:Strange, Weir is only credited with writing 3 songs on his own, Lyrics and Music, that is.....

Born Cross Eyed
One More Saturday Night
Little Star

My top 10 (Subject to change)

Mexicali Blues
Passenger
Big River
Black Throated Wind
El Paso
Beat It On Down The Line
Mama Tried
Playing In The Band
Me & My Uncle
Let It Grow
1. I think the struggle over OMSN was the straw that broke Hunter's back, and he told Weir to take solo writing credit despite his contributions and famously said "You want him? Take him, he's yours," to Barlow.

2. Big River was written by Johnny Cash, El Paso by Marty Robbins, Mama Tried by Merle Haggard, and Uncle by Kris Kristofferson.

3. What's the story on Little Star? Never heard it.

3. Didn't Phil write Passenger?

Um, yeah, didn't Prince write Purple Rain as well? I think you read my post wrong but it's cool. I just said that it was odd that Weir only has 3 solo credits in the Publishing domain for complete songwriting, music and lyrics. I didn't say that he wrote the others in my list. Me and My Uncle was written by the guy from The Mama and The Papas, BTW.

:D

#47108  by strumminsix

Zack wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
1 Victim or the Crime
You think Victim is the greatest Weir song ever? :shock:
I did not saythat. Go back and read what you deleted from my post.

#47111  by AugustWest

1.The Music Never Stops
2. The Other One
3. Playing in the Band
4. Cassidy
5. Throwing Stones
6. My Brother Esau
7. Sugar Mag
8. Mexicali Blues
9. Black Throated Wind
10. Born Cross Eyed

#47112  by astroman99

great lists so far
I'd only add Lost Sailor/saint...I know 2 out of every three shows in the early eighties
and I would also add Queen Jane..I know he didn't write it, but he performed it very nicely...

#47113  by st stephen

i think we all know what the questions means, as dead fans we understand that barlow wrote the lyrics for bobby tunes. Lets not try to slpit the atom here boys. Just tell us what your F^&*in Favorite bobby tunes are and cut the BS. Not cover songs but the songs he wrote the music to, which we all know are very unique, and Genius like.

Not in any particuliar order. More like in a setlist form.

1. Feel like a Stranger
2. Jack Straw
3. LLR
4. Cassidy
5. WRS>LIG
6. Victim
7. Throwing Stones
8. Black Throated Wind
9. Lost Sailor>Saint
10.Music never Stops

Encore/Honorable mention
Sugar Magnolia

And it changes as well

#47114  by Zack

Sorry people. No need for sarcasm. Yes, I was wrong attributing Me and My Uncle to Kristofferson, who wrote Bobby McGee. Uncle was indeed written by "Papa" John Philips. Better lay off the :D

#47115  by Good Times

Here are my favorites in no particular order:

LLR - always enjoyed seeing this live
Throwing Stones
Estimated
Greatest Story
El Paso
Jack Straw
Cassidy
Victim
Sugar Magnolia
The Music Never Stops

#47119  by Tennessee Jedi

Looking over the lists you all have has made one thing clear to me -
Bob wrote some kick ass songs !
Mexacali - I always thought this was a cover-Jerry gets that sick counrty/western thing going ...
WRS is some great music.The solo part is deep.
Ace is one of the best "Dead" albums
:D :D :D

#47122  by GratefulPat

in order as of just waking up and not thinking overly clear...

one more saturday night
sugar mags
mexicali
other one
good lovin
race is on
black throated wind
passenger
wrs-> Lig
cassidy

#47123  by tigerstrat

Wow, relatively little love for Other One, less than half the lists citing it. I'd actually put it out there as one of the Top 3 Grateful Dead songs ever.
3. What's the story on Little Star? Never heard it.
AKA "Bob Star". It's hardly a song... more like a little ditty that Bob trotted out about 2-3 times coming out of Space in the summer(spring?) of '83. 6/20/83 is one of them... did they all precede Other One?

#47126  by astroman99

OMG...I am sorry, were you my 5th grade teacher , he found fault with my reading comprehension too!! is that you MR Riley? it's me Henry...
actually it is not clear to me at all what the op was asking, but all I can say is F*^%$kin Dark Star. should be added, doesn't he have a writing credit on that too! flame on...
st stephen wrote:i think we all know what the questions means, as dead fans we understand that barlow wrote the lyrics for bobby tunes. Lets not try to slpit the atom here boys. Just tell us what your F^&*in Favorite bobby tunes are and cut the BS. Not cover songs but the songs he wrote the music to, which we all know are very unique, and Genius like.

Not in any particuliar order. More like in a setlist form.

1. Feel like a Stranger
2. Jack Straw
3. LLR
4. Cassidy
5. WRS>LIG
6. Victim
7. Throwing Stones
8. Black Throated Wind
9. Lost Sailor>Saint
10.Music never Stops

Encore/Honorable mention
Sugar Magnolia

And it changes as well
Last edited by astroman99 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

#47127  by CountryMile Cadillac

tigerstrat wrote:Wow, relatively little love for Other One, less than half the lists citing it. I'd actually put it out there as one of the Top 3 Grateful Dead songs ever.

AKA "Bob Star". It's hardly a song... more like a little ditty that Bob trotted out about 2-3 times coming out of Space in the summer(spring?) of '83. 6/20/83 is one of them... did they all precede Other One?
The Other One is one of the bands top songs, I always think of it as a collaboration between band members, as to a Bob song though. I've seen it credited so many ways.

Little Star-Bob Star, it first came out of He's Gone>Bob Star>Drums but the other two times before the other one, once coming out of space.

I don't think Bob ever published and/or copyrighted the tune either

#47132  by wisedyes

Myself, I'm surprised at the lack of love for "My Brother Esau" and "Samson & Delilah" and especially "Estimated Prophet". So they're going on my list.

In no particular order -

1. Jack Straw
2. Music Never Stopped
3. Estimated Prophet
4. Weather Report Suite - Let It Grow
5. Cassidy
6. My Brother Esau
7. Samson and Delilah
8. Throwing Stones
9. Playing In The Band
10. Looks Like Rain

Honorable mentions - Sugar Mag, Other One, Black Throated Wind

Thinking about it, it's hard to limit to ten songs. My dirty little secret is that I usually like Bob's songs better.

#47134  by jonarobb

I changed my whole list today. Everything got deleted except for Let It Grow. I woke up and put on the WRS from El Paso, TX 11/23/73...absolutely blistering!!!!

11/23/73
County Coliseum - El Paso, TX
http://www.archive.org/download/gd73-11 ... nf_vbr.m3u

Set 1:
Bertha
Mexicali Blues
Deal
Looks Like Rain
Don't Ease Me In
The Race Is On
Loser
Jack Straw