rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#21910  by Dozin
 Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:20 pm
WoW! Someone just gave me a heads up that some dude put a video of my band on Youtube. Thought that was pretty cool.

So if your board and feel like checking us out here you go http://youtube.com/watch?v=MNvGSdpxgOU

Peace,

Chris

#21942  by Dozin
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:43 am
It seems that the audio is clipping a little from the cam mic, not bad though. They had a sound person there which was nice. Everything was miced. Big, big sound on the mountain range. It was beautiful!

#21945  by strumminsix
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:01 am
Congrats, Chris, that's a great clip!

Question are you doing the 80s-esque version with a bit of a transitional partial D chord between the E and A on the first two verse lines?

#21948  by Dozin
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 am
I am throwing the D in there. We've discussed it before about not doing it but I simply do it out of habit. I think it flows better, but that's me. What do you think?

#21956  by strumminsix
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:14 am
Dozin wrote:I am throwing the D in there. We've discussed it before about not doing it but I simply do it out of habit. I think it flows better, but that's me. What do you think?
IMO, I like to try to play different versions with my bands.

So when I hear a D I know it's and 80s version, no D 70s.

But even in the 70s the first solo definately plays off the 1 and 3 of the D major and lands there definitively at the exact spot you play the D.

Personally, I usually play it straight ahead E > A but I've been known to sneak it in for fun!

However, I do *love* the 80s build up like you guys do!

E > F#, then back to E, then E > F# > Abm

So most times I play it like a hybrid, E>A then the 80s build up!

#21958  by Dozin
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:31 am
I love doing that part of the jam. Wish we had keys so I wouldn't have to strum so much.

#21959  by astroman99
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 am
Isn't the jam really movin on an e major chord with a flatted 5th?

#21969  by Dozin
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 pm
astroman99 wrote:Isn't the jam really movin on an e major chord with a flatted 5th?
yup, for about 16 measures then we hit what strumminsix wrote out for chords

#21970  by strumminsix
 Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:57 pm
Dozin wrote:I love doing that part of the jam. Wish we had keys so I wouldn't have to strum so much.
Bro, 100% agree on both counts. Love it and my band doesn't have keys yet either.
 #111397  by tanrosely
 Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:36 pm
But even in the 70s the first solo definately plays off the 1 and 3 of the D major and lands there definitively at the exact spot you play the D.

Personally, I usually play it straight ahead E > A but I've been known to sneak it in for fun! !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trumpet Wedding Dresses|Column Wedding Dresses|Wedding Dresses with Sleeves|New Style Wedding Dresses