#136766  by jeager

When I was thirteen I thought it was a great tune with an awesome jam at the end. I felt this way for about six months... Then my big sister took me to a dead show. Lots of songs are very popular, considered classics by John Q. Public but not really all that good. Free bird is in my opinion one of the biggest examples of this. Lots of cliches (both lyrics and especially musical) stung together and repeated over and over... How many times does that guy repeat the same bent note at the end of the song?
Sorry, just my opinion.
 #136767  by Mr.Burns

I don't know about any of that stuff, but the solo was recorded in one take, as the legend goes. And what has been referred to as clichés were not clichés at the time. Perhaps this tune is the reason they are now clichés. Anyway, if the one take thing is true, its pretty cool. This is all about perspective, man. Maybe its not enough to impress some jaded Deadheads, or even to earn their respect, but it reached #19 and Guitar World considers the solo the 3rd best of all time. Give the devil his due.
 #136775  by jeager

Well, I would not consider myself a deadhead really, jaded music fan? Maybe you are right but that song just is just way over rated. Thats my opinion. They were really good at what they did which I don't care for at all. Maybe I just can't relate to all that southern flag waving nonsense,
 #136784  by tcsned

I get the Freebird burnout or distaste for the tune and/or the band. As musicians they are pretty much the opposite of what the Dead did. The played songs pretty much the way they recorded them. However, this wasn't a limitation of their musicianship more of a reaction to overproduced music that the artists could never pull off live. They recorded their music with a live feel so that they could actually execute the songs to their satisfaction on stage. They were pretty fucking good at it. Gary Rossington might not have been on the list of great guitar virtuosos, Allen Collins could really get it and Steve Gaines would have achieved world renown status had he not been cut down after his first record. I Know a Little is one of the most badass southern rock guitar parts ever.

I have to admit, I grew up on this stuff. Going to high school in the redneck part of Northern Virginia and playing guitar meant that I was going to play a lot of Skynyrd songs. I grew out of it when when I discovered the Grateful Dead about my senior year in high school and on into college but there's something about that band that still hits home with me. I'm not down with the Confederate flag waving nonsense. I have a master's degree in history and know full well the rightful stigma attached to that symbol. They should also stop referring to it as the "Stars and Bars" which it is not, but better the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia (or the Confederate Navy Jack) which is the flag that they and others use, than the actual Stars and Bars or the political flag of the Confederacy. I believe the band has stopped using it at their shows. I did get backstage at a show back before Hughie Thomason died (another really kickass guitar player), and they couldn't have been nicer, more gracious people. They put on a great live show, not a Dead show, not loose and inventive but tight and focused. But they are primarily an act meant to see live and I dig that.

There are bands that we get, there are bands whose music that we like who aren't the greatest players out there (I really dig the Ramones), there are bands out there that are great players but just don't speak to us personally (I have to admit that I don't get Phish, I've seen them live, I've listened to most of their studio stuff and can appreciate their ability but I don't really get their music). Yes, Freebird has become a cliche. If I'm going to listen to a Skynyrd song it's not the one I'd probably pick but I think it has earned the right to be in the pantheon of rock tunes.
 #136791  by jeager

What the hell was i talking about? Skynard was great and Freebird rocks. I have these moments like that...

Though it is just like you said...
 #136793  by tcsned

jeager wrote:What the hell was i talking about? Skynard was great and Freebird rocks. I have these moments like that...

Though it is just like you said...
If you haven't seen it, I would recommend the documentary on Tom Dowd - one of the true geniuses of recording/mixing/producing among other things he recorded Skynyrd and the Allmans . . . Derek and the Dominoes, Cream, Ray Charles, Monk, and a buhzillion others.
 #136824  by flyingheelhook

I remember when I was like 10 years old, my cousin telling me he didn't like watermelon and for the life of me I couldn't understand why as its slightly sweet and not a strong flavor at all compared to the 'usual suspects' such as liver, cottage cheese and asparagus which pretty much top my list of foods I abhor. Years later in high school biology I learned that a lot of human taste preference is genetically programmed (although this can be overcome) and its not really a personal preference as much as its programmed into who we are.

I tend to think music is that way also - we all have genetically, intellectually and emotionally programmed tastes and preferences (which can be overcome).

I have a friend who is very educated musically who is very critical of some music and loves other music but its mainly from an intellectual perspective that he can express this. On the other hand, I am most definitely more moved emotionally by music and songs while being appreciative of some of the more complex pieces that move him.

So in the end, to me, its pretty silly to be bluntly critical of what someone else is doing musically, especially if they have found an audience that appreciates what they are doing. Kind of like telling a watermelon it shouldn't exist because you don't like how it tastes.
 #136826  by tcsned

flyingheelhook wrote: So in the end, to me, its pretty silly to be bluntly critical of what someone else is doing musically, especially if they have found an audience that appreciates what they are doing. Kind of like telling a watermelon it shouldn't exist because you don't like how it tastes.
Exactly, there is music I have averse reaction to, music I don't particularly care for, music I like, and music I love. I suspect most people are the same. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean that no one else should be allowed to enjoy it. That being said, this is a music forum and we can be critical here, this is a good place for it. Better here than with someone who may get hurt or take offense.

My kids listen to a lot of Top 40 stuff, most of which I don't have much use for. Some of it is tolerable. I would never be critical of the music my kids listen to and allow them total freedom to explore the music they like, though a gentle nudge to listen to something I like is always there. In between the Lady Gaga and Ellie Goulding I'll slip them some Zappa or Dead :-)
 #136829  by TI4-1009

Gaga's cool.
 #136831  by tcsned

TI4-1009 wrote:Gaga's cool.
I can't say that her music speaks to me but it is well produced and catchy - now I have "Bad Romance" running through my head. Thanks!! :D
 #139983  by aiq

For many first wave southern hippies it was pretty much Clapton>Dead>Allmans. I liked LS a good bit at the beginning based on the power of the musicianship. Also, Jimmy Carter was trying to hype the New South.

As we now know, the politics of Doug Grey, Daniels, and the current LS reveal that it is still bizniz as usual. Sad.

I am retiring to the Alabama gulf coast this summer so that's two more progressive voters anyway.
 #139984  by Searing75

Bummer. I always thought yelling "Free bird" was code for great guitar playing man?!? :oops: :lol: