#122387  by Tennessee Jedi

All of a sudden I am really into learning some of the late 80's stuff ...
Like Standing On The Moon / Blow Away / T.O.G. /Bucket ( yeah been around forever ) ....
Been listening to Built To Last / I.T.D..... as well as watching some 87 and 89 shows ....
Good Stuff
:D
Haven't caught the ' Victim ' bug though.
:lol:
 #122409  by gr8fulbluz

I can dig.
I have had a soft spot for foolish heart for a long time. Once upon a time, I worked up a solo acoustic for myself, --a work in progress to be sure but i have forgot what i did now, doh.
Standing on the moon, a fav of mine. It is funny when the songs were live in the late 80's they didnt really grab my attention. You know I would think Ok it is a-nother bobby's bucket opener, what is next? Now on great recordings of the shows i was at I find i like these songs more and more as the years go by.
Currently, In my car I have 10/26/89 Miami Arena in the CD player, foolish opener. I might have a look at TOG, I always liked the arpeggio licks in touch.
:cool:
 #122410  by Grateful Dad

Tennessee Jedi wrote:All of a sudden I am really into learning some of the late 80's stuff ...
Like Standing On The Moon / Blow Away / T.O.G. /Bucket ( yeah been around forever ) ....
Been listening to Built To Last / I.T.D..... as well as watching some 87 and 89 shows ....
Good Stuff
:D
Haven't caught the ' Victim ' bug though.
:lol:
I remember reading an interview with Bobby where he stated how much he liked that time period for the band and how he felt the band was playing on top of their game.

Now if we can just change our bass player's attitude towards this era......... :?
But how? :D
 #122412  by jkstraw

Grateful Dad wrote:
I remember reading an interview with Bobby where he stated how much he liked that time period for the band and how he felt the band was playing on top of their game.
I remember the same thing - he also eluded to this in a recent Rolling Stone Q&A (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20120806)
RS: There's this Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 box set coming out, which a lot of people are really excited about. There are so many different opinions about what years and eras were the band's best. I've heard your bandmate Phil Lesh say that his favorite era was during that initial period through 1974.

BW: I had the best time in Brent [Mydland]'s final years."
 #122429  by tigerstrat

its been fun trying to figure out Phil's treble lick for the Touch Of Grey chorus... still haven't nailed it.... tab anyone?
 #122447  by Jimaroe

jkstraw wrote:
Grateful Dad wrote:
I remember the same thing - he also eluded to this in a recent Rolling Stone Q&A (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20120806)
RS: There's this Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 box set coming out, which a lot of people are really excited about. There are so many different opinions about what years and eras were the band's best. I've heard your bandmate Phil Lesh say that his favorite era was during that initial period through 1974.

BW: I had the best time in Brent [Mydland]'s final years."
Love 89' Dead. The Jerry Brent interplay was IMHO Fantastic during this time. Easy to Love You for example, is such an underrated tune. There are some stellar examples from this era.