rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#102161  by rkubik
 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:14 am
With the passing of Clarence Clemmons, my quest for new music, and to see what sparks other peoples interests I wanted to see what others thought were their favorite sits in or guests with the dead. I liked when Clarence sat in and was probably one of my favorite guests. I am also fond of the Joan Baez show on New Years eve 81'. What do you all enjoy?
 #102164  by jdsmodulus
 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 am
There are the classics for sure. For me it was Steve Miller. Some of that Bobby>Steve blues interplay was nice to see in person. I also really liked seeing Branford Marsalis. Oh and not really a guest but Hornsby playing in Charlotte in 95 was Epic!
 #102171  by PaulJay
 Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 pm
John Cipolina and Mathew Kelly in the closing of the Winterland show.
 #102181  by Bear62
 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:33 pm
John Cipolina, Carlos Santana, Stephen Stills, Etta James and Tower of Power for Sure. Neil Young!
 #102182  by mgbills
 Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 pm
Yea Neil Young.

Yea Bobby D.
 #102183  by tigerstrat
 Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 pm
Duane Allman
 #102196  by tcsned
 Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 am
tigerstrat wrote:Duane Allman
+1 on Skydog - I would add Pete Townsend

. . . Beach Boys?? :)
 #102310  by Kennay
 Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:00 am
I loved it when Henry Rollins sat in with them and did GG Allin`s "Bite It You F*ck" with Henry body-slamming Jerry.
 #102311  by Scarlet
 Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 am
Believe it or not Henry Rollins is quite a Deadhead & used to go to shows. I once heard one of his spoken word shows where he was raving about Phil & Billy as a rhythm section.
 #102315  by RiverRat
 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am
Scarlet wrote:Believe it or not Henry Rollins is quite a Deadhead & used to go to shows. I once heard one of his spoken word shows where he was raving about Phil & Billy as a rhythm section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadhead#C ... _deadheads

Henry Rollins and Greg Ginn of Black Flag.

In a BAM review of a Dead show in Irvine, California, on April 13, 1985, the author wrote: "So-called adventuresome people who dig Black Flag probably wouldn't be caught alive at a Grateful Dead show". Ginn subsequently wrote to BAM to explain that he and other members of Black Flag had attended the concert being reviewed, that he had attended many Dead shows and that the Grateful Dead was his favorite band. (Source: Winter 1986 issue of the Grateful Dead fanzine The Golden Road. Publisher for the fanzine was well-known journalist Blair Jackson.)
Kennay wrote:I loved it when Henry Rollins sat in with them and did GG Allin`s "Bite It You F*ck" with Henry body-slamming Jerry.
Correction... it's "Bite It You Scum" and "Drink Fight and Fuck". Drink, Fight and Fuck appears on the Eat My Fuc disc. Both songs were done with the Scumfucs and appear on the Dirty Love Songs and Hated in The Nation compilation tapes. .