Talk about the recent Tours
 #40361  by warrenMFKNhaynes

I just saw them 2 days ago at the O'Shaughnessy Auditorium In Minnesota

I: Jam > Truckin > Loose Lucy, Senor, Crazy Fingers > Big Boss Man, Lucky Enough, Jus' Like Mama Said > Tomorrow Never Knows

II: Dark Hollow@5, Me and My Uncle@4, Corrina@, Althea > Iko Iko > Stuff > Standing on the Moon > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away
E: GDTRFB

Honestly it was pathetic, the Me and My Uncle was way too slow, he was forgetting the words to senor (a great Dylan song that jerry made even better) along with others

And the standing on the moon was terrible too. A great jerry ballad and he butchered the lyrics and basically talked through the whole thing...

I watched Phil at Langarado live on iClips.com. It was so much better than bobby, Jackie Greene is not bad, they got the Casey Jones rollin pretty good.

Here comes the bashing… im a rukind rebel.
8) lol

#40367  by Emoto

I haven't seen Ratdog in a few years. Not going to bash, but from what I could tell, Bobby and Mickey were the drivers behind getting shows off of Archive.org, so I've stopped giving either of them my money. I am not wild about this new taking of a public political stance by Phil, either. Your mileage may vary.

#40368  by Pigpen

I dont know I havent seen Bob since last February so I cant say... Id take a slow Bob over Jackie Greene any day though.

#40373  by gratephulphish123

imo bob>phil, at least with their current lineups. mark karan is a much better guitarist than larry cambell, who i will never stop posting dirty comments about because of how bad he murdered sugaree at our show. i understand that not everyone plays like jerry and sometimes an original interpretation is cool, but larry cambells blues style doesnt click with dead material at all

#40376  by strumminsix

gratephulphish123 wrote:imo bob>phil, at least with their current lineups. mark karan is a much better guitarist than larry cambell, who i will never stop posting dirty comments about because of how bad he murdered sugaree at our show. i understand that not everyone plays like jerry and sometimes an original interpretation is cool, but larry cambells blues style doesnt click with dead material at all
Interesting... Joan Osborn's murdering of Sugaree is why I despise her.

#40377  by pmonk66

strumminsix wrote:
gratephulphish123 wrote:imo bob>phil, at least with their current lineups. mark karan is a much better guitarist than larry cambell, who i will never stop posting dirty comments about because of how bad he murdered sugaree at our show. i understand that not everyone plays like jerry and sometimes an original interpretation is cool, but larry cambells blues style doesnt click with dead material at all
I thought she did a great job on Passenger and Mr. Charlie at the PL&F show at the Beacon in 2006

#40378  by willmusic

Still love em both. Let's not forget that the GD had MANY off days. And imo we've become more critical because we don't see them 15 or more times a year anymore. The one time we see them in an eight month period had BETTER be good or else, right? Again just my opinion, but yeah I have seen good and bad from Ratdog and P&F. And just like with the GD, I'll suffer through the not-so-good stuff to get a taste of the magic. And as for myself, I'm not offended by Phil's encouragement of people to vote, or Bobby and Mickey's feelings about unauthorized SBDs (Healy post coming soon?) or Kreutzmann's choice of breakfast cereal. One thing I know is that when they're gone I'll be grateful as hell for even those off days.

#40379  by strumminsix

pmonk66 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
I thought she did a great job on Passenger and Mr. Charlie at the PL&F show at the Beacon in 2006
It took her 5 years to learn songs?! :lol:

When she played with "The Dead" it was a very odd feel. She wasn't familiar enough with the material to give the shows the free flow of tunage that we are used to. The songlist was short and the setlists were rigid. Not a good feeling.

And she fucked up timing, verses, feel, etc. She tried to reinvent songs she didn't even master to begin with - not cool, IMO.

#40380  by High Peaks

Kind of on a side note. When they played that benefit for Obama. When Karan sat in with them, i was really digging the tone he got from his SG. I think he was running through a Two Rock, but i'm not sure. Not a huge Karan fan here, but his tone is pretty incredible at times.

#40386  by lostsailor8782

I as well will take a slow Bob over Jackie Green any day ... I actually like the slow arrangment of Me & My Uncle I saw at Red Rocks this year ... as long as Phil has Larry Campbell as his guitarist I won't be seeing them , But I'll see Bobby and the Ratdog crew again when they come back around

#40393  by Pigpen

Yes yes. One of the factors stopping me from seeing Phil and his current lineup.

#40396  by krzykat

the second to last night at the Nokia in NYC was off the hook!

Set 1: Good Lovin', Friend of the Devil, Spots of Time, Dire Wolf, Operator, Beat It On Down The Line, Shakedown Street

Set 2: Jam > China Cat Sunflower, Jack Straw, The Wheel > Eyes of the World, Stella Blue, St. Stephen > The Eleven > Help on the Way > Slipknot > One More Saturday Night > Franklin's Tower, E: Box of Rain

best Phil show i'd seen in a long time. the Stella was with out lyrics very moving. (Halloween was good too)

Hated Moan Osbourne singing with him. I've seen good Phil and bad, same with Bobby, but . . . i will still go to see both of them cuz i luvs me some dead!

#40398  by weirimpressed

the p&f show from langerado was out of control, great sound and vibe at the show...
phils on a pretty good run right now and I would recommend them to anybody who has a chance to see them.

warrenMFKNhaynes, that show looks like it had a kinda weaker setlist, but i mean everyones got bad shows right?

hopefully they get it together before they come to Atlanta this summer with Keller (crossin my fingers :cool: )

#40405  by Dozin

It's better than them not touring at all. The problem with reviews are, one says it sucked and the other says it was great. I'm in agreement that some tunes they would be better if the tempo was picked up a tad. I think Bob has enough experience that he can judge a crowds reaction during the performance of the tune and he'll make adjustments. Plus tour just kicked off. Mark is getting back in the thick of things after his longest break from playing. I'm just glad that they're out there doing it.