Talk about the recent Tours
 #19688  by guilhermeful dead

I'm not sure this topic fits well here but here it is: Besides the United States and Europe, did they play anywhere else? (sorry, i'm just getting to know more about the Grateful Dead). Thanks

#19720  by Shaggy

There was talk of Japan but that never happened.

#19727  by bodiddley

Ya it's the USA, but they get some cred for doing shows in Alaska and Hawaii. They had enough of us knuckle heads in their own backyard...no need to travel abroad. A StoneHedge show woulda been cool though.

#19737  by sarraqum

They had enough of us knuckle heads in their own backyard...no need to travel abroad.
Thats a terrible attitude to have and that is what annoys me about US jam bands. America is not the only country in the world and there are other people all over the place who appreciate the music but never get a chance to see them play live because the bands think they have enough fans at home to bother touring.

Cream didn't fuck around and went to US, so did Pink Floyd and Beatles, many times. Grateful Dead on the other hand managed to make it to Europe...what was it....twice? What about Phish? Widespread Panic? Gov't Mule? You can count US jam bands' escapees with one hand.

You should start exporting all the great bands you have over to us and stop sending all the garbage like 50 Cent and Pussycat Dolls, you can keep them.

#19739  by AugustWest

GD had a europe tour in 72 81 90 and 91

played in egypt in 78

tons of jam bands go to japan (string cheese, lotus, p-groove to name a couple.)

You get dylan all the time.

It's not that we american's only want to give you our crappy artists. It's that other countries dig our crappy artists. (it's sad how many 50 cents fans there are everywhere) There was a huge market over here for cream the beatles and your other great bands but also a market for crappy european bands like the zombies, ace of bass, abba, the cranberries, ect.

It's all about the money. It sucks but it's the reality.

#19759  by sarraqum

Well, maybe you're right in some respect still, it wouldn't kill Phil or Bobby to pop down across the Atlantic for few months.
Panic cancelled their last Europe tour due to ill health of Michael Houser....we know what happened afterwards though. But Jimmy Herring is touring with them now so there really is NOTHING stopping them.
Maybe I am bitching and whining but i don't believe my bitchings and whinings are baseless

#19761  by LazyLightnin

then start your own band. (duh)

#19770  by b weird

AugustWest wrote:GD had a Europe tour in 72 81 90 and 91
You forgot the Europe 74 tour :x .

#19771  by AugustWest

You are correct! i beg for your mercy :hail:

Here's a question: Is that more tours than cream had on us soil?

#19773  by mutant_dan

Somewhere between Venus and Mars, you had to be there...

#19774  by mutant_dan

AugustWest wrote:GD had a europe tour in 72 81 90 and 91
Europe 91, I must have missed that one...

#19776  by tigerstrat

In a 1977 very informal audio interview I have, Jerry talks about the possibility of making plans to play in Iran. Rock Scully also mentioned this in his book... that the plan was to play for some private event there, and it involved the supplier of their "Persian" habit.

Then 1978 the Egypt thing happened, and of course, after 1979 Iran would have been a whole nuther ball of wax...

I've never heard of plans to play Japan but I do remember the rumor from around 1989-90 that they were trying to go to China. Never happened.