rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Talk about the recent Tours
 #19536  by krzykat
 Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:33 am
Any one out there goign to the vibes this year? DSO tribute to Jerry on the 9th, and a P-Funk tribute to the godfather of soul!

Image

 #19537  by CaptainTrips
 Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:18 am
I should, its pretty close to my house, but I dont know if I will. Ive never seen DSO.

 #19539  by CaptainTrips
 Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:20 am
nevermind, I am used to it being in Mariahville, NY.

 #19540  by Shaggy
 Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:21 am
CaptainTrips wrote: Ive never seen DSO.
Why watch Gus Van Sant's Psycho when you can watch Hitchcocks?

 #19542  by CaptainTrips
 Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:26 am
True that

 #19763  by jahozer
 Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:45 am
Shaggy wrote:
CaptainTrips wrote: Ive never seen DSO.
Why watch Gus Van Sant's Psycho when you can watch Hitchcocks?
I am a always surprised by this reaction, especially from regulars on a site that is all about emulating Jerrys sound...
If they were albums, I would agree. But you cant really catch a Grateful Dead concert anymore.
DSO (imho) is awesome. I think how lucky we are to have people care enough to so faithfully reproduce the sound and the feel of a Dead show. Its a feeling I wont get anywhere. So to close my eyes at DSO? Fuck yeah!
I am also glad that kids who never saw Jerry can get a taste of it.
Last edited by jahozer on Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

 #19765  by AugustWest
 Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:09 am
DSO is fantastic! rob eaton (bob weir) is one of the best musicians in the jam scene. Their jerry (john?) is in peak form right now. I've seen them about 15 times starting back in 03 and have seen a huge improvement in his lead guitar playing over the years. Right now he is playing better than ever. He sounds more like jerry's playing leads than any of those other "jerry types" (kimock, herring, ect.) The only thing I feel that is lacking from DSO is the bass player. He is a fine bass player but doesn't hold a match to phil and doesn't even really try to. So the music is missing that piece of brilliance and improvation from the bass. Great fun show. I never download DSO shows becuase the grateful dead is better. However I have to say if Phil toured with this band I wouldn't miss a show of it. If phil joined DSO they would be my favorite touring band around! (sorry Railroad earth and Ratdog)

 #19792  by shakedown_04092
 Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 pm
jahozer wrote: I am also glad that kids who never saw Jerry can get a taste of it.
Exactly!

 #19872  by jahozer
 Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:29 pm
I would like to see "The Jerry Guy" from DSO play with the Dead when/if they get back at it.
I know I may catch alot of heat from that, but its kinda like, have you ever tried to bring a musician in to a dead cover or jam band who just really doesnt get it? They may be great musicians, but if they are not tuned in to the cosmic flow that we are tuned into, its really hard and hardly ever works. I like Phils band for that sort of "lets see where these guys take this" exploration, but with the big giant Dead monster, why not have somebody who knows where these songs go? He can still improvise, and so can the boys. Just much less train-wrecks.
And before anyone gets all upitty :twisted: about a cover band player not being worthy, Boracco and Hornesby were both Dead Cover musicians.

 #20242  by krzykat
 Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20 pm
jahozer wrote:I would like to see "The Jerry Guy" from DSO play with the Dead when/if they get back at it.
I know I may catch alot of heat from that, but its kinda like, have you ever tried to bring a musician in to a dead cover or jam band who just really doesnt get it? They may be great musicians, but if they are not tuned in to the cosmic flow that we are tuned into, its really hard and hardly ever works. I like Phils band for that sort of "lets see where these guys take this" exploration, but with the big giant Dead monster, why not have somebody who knows where these songs go? He can still improvise, and so can the boys. Just much less train-wrecks.
And before anyone gets all upitty :twisted: about a cover band player not being worthy, Boracco and Hornesby were both Dead Cover musicians.
Jeff Matson of the Tricksters played with Phil back in 01 i think it was, before Barraco became a full time member of the friends

 #20268  by phreaker
 Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:49 am
DSO was an insane experience for me. the show i saw was in lawrence last year, and it was an october 73 show. perfect set, for me. I was so stoked the whole time, I knew right away it was a 72-74 set, because they nailed everything PERFECTLY.the sound, the jams, everything.

the most ridiculous jam ive ever seen live was at that show. One of the He's gone, Other one, Truckin, Nobody's fault combos. Fuck structure, they dont need it, and i noticed it. they are the grateful dead, no one jams like that, but they imitate it dead on. i never saw the dead, but i went with my dad, who came out of the show grinning like a child saying "that was IT, MAN. that was IT."

 #20274  by st stephen
 Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 am
DSO is my favorite band around right now!! just saw them with Rob Baraaco on the keys it was amazing.

DSO

 #20277  by Laytonco
 Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:49 am
DSO is indeed a special band for us Heads. I've had the very fortunate opportunity to become friends with Kevin Rosen (Phil Lesh) as he grew up with my lead guitarist. Kevin is a very genuine and kind fellow. He even helped us produce "Truckin" on our demo. It's nice when fame DOESN"T go to people's heads.

Peace,

Gil

 #20342  by cuznt
 Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:33 am
CaptainTrips wrote:nevermind, I am used to it being in Mariahville, NY.
so then you going to camp creek?

 #20343  by cuznt
 Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:34 am
and we bought our tickets for the vibes. we will be wooking out with the best of them. :smile: