rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #93206  by TI4-1009
 Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:53 am
Was Abraham Lincoln honest?

Does a woodchuck chuck wood?

Does a former drill sargent make a bad therapist?

Did this little piggy cry "wee, wee, wee" all the way home?

#93210  by tcsned
 Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am
I saw a hilarious episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit and they were debunking myths around organic produce and they were conducting a taste test - when they told the subject which banana was organic they all selected the one they were told was organic. When the test was blind most selected the non-organic banana. Some of these people were obviously morons but it gets to the point that I think Jon raised about the scientific method - if your mind is expecting a difference there is a good chance you will hear it whether or not it is there or as significant as your perception of it is. Everything on a guitar affects the tone. I have always thought that the nut only affected the sound of a guitar when an open string was played - I certainly could be wrong. When I was at the music store I sure put plenty of shitty plastic nuts on crappy guitars at thought that they sounded awful but then again, they were on cheap guitars. I have graphite nuts . . . :shock: on all of my electrics except my old Strat and Les Paul - they are original and plastic I think. I haven't put a brass nut on any of my guitars since shaping them is kind of a pain with my available tools but will probably see about putting one on my under construction guitar. Though without recording it with the same amp settings, microphone, strings, etc doing a good comparison is impossible. Not that it really matters because perception is reality after all. :-)

Here's Jerry's brass nut :lol:
From Rosebud
 #93215  by hogan
 Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am
For the record, I only think a brass nut matters on open strings as per my previous posts. I'm all for the the scientific method. In fact, i think most everything is bullshit/snake oil until I see some real evidence.
 #93216  by TI4-1009
 Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:04 am
+1 on the scientific method. I started college as an English major, but ended up (a long time later...) withe a Zoology degree and most of Chemistry and Earth Science degrees. The tried and true method tends to cut throught the bullshit. But I'm still getting a scalloped brass nut on my Tiger!
 #93219  by tcsned
 Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:20 am
TI4-1009 wrote:+1 on the scientific method. I started college as an English major, but ended up (a long time later...) withe a Zoology degree and most of Chemistry and Earth Science degrees. The tried and true method tends to cut throught the bullshit. But I'm still getting a scalloped brass nut on my Tiger!
lol - I went the opposite route. I started in Wildlife Biology and wound up with a history degree - now in Instructional Design/Ed Psych - designing a research study for my dissertation now. Gotta account for all variables :-)