rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #90234  by Kennay
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:14 pm
Hi ya`ll. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer. My Vibrolux reissue has lost it`s headroom and it can`t get up. I`m thinking that it`s the power tube section because when I remove them and preamp tap into the Mac everything is fine. I replaced the power tubes once because I broke off the center plastic of the tube when trying to remove it. That was 6 months ago and the the amp was fine up til now. Can anybody offer advice on a DIY fix for a novice? Or is it off to the doctor for another prostate exam? Any help is much appreciated.
 #90237  by tigerstrat
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:21 pm
How does it sound when you pop in your spare set of power valves?
 #90240  by Kennay
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm
tigerstrat wrote:How does it sound when you pop in your spare set of power valves?
Hi tigerstrat. What are power valves?
 #90244  by Kennay
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:02 pm
deadguise wrote:Brits and some of us on the Left Coast like to call tubes valves. (your power amp tubers).
Ah! Thank you deadguise. I don`t have a spare set right now. I am Governor Jerry Brown....my aura smiles and never frowns....Are the Zen fascists controlling you yet?
 #90254  by rugger
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm
I am Governor Jerry Brown....my aura smiles and never frowns....Are the Zen fascists controlling you yet?
Not sure I get the context, but I recognize a Dead Kennedies reference when I see it!

I loved that album. Use to play Let's Lynch the Landlord in a band back in the day.

John in San Diego
 #90257  by Maybeck09
 Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 pm
I have this amp. Sounds like you've got an issue with a power tube. Are they both glowing when on? I knocked one out one time and it still played but with about half the volume. Swap out a pair to test first. If not that it may be the tube sockets themselves and the connection. At that point due to shock issues you may want to send her out.
 #90344  by Kennay
 Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:43 am
rugger wrote:
I am Governor Jerry Brown....my aura smiles and never frowns....Are the Zen fascists controlling you yet?
Not sure I get the context, but I recognize a Dead Kennedies reference when I see it!

I loved that album. Use to play Let's Lynch the Landlord in a band back in the day.

John in San Diego
Deadguise mentioned the Left coast. I assumed that meant California who just elected Jerry Brown as governor again.
 #90351  by tigerstrat
 Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 am
Kennay wrote:
rugger wrote:

John in San Diego
Deadguise mentioned the Left coast. I assumed that meant California who just elected Jerry Brown as governor again.
Use of the term "valve" actually has no special connection with the west coast (I think dg is just "riffin"), but it is more common in Europe. It's a fairly common synonym for "tube", not sure why I used it right there, but I guess it derailed the thread. Sorry!