Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #88487  by hogan
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:46 am
metal knobs.
 #88488  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 am
Hmmm. I could make a strong case for either one.

The wood knobs really bring out the warmth in the spalted top and brass pickup ring, but the metal ones make it look more unified.

The wood are more unique... just in case the guitar looks ordinary otherwise. :lol:

For me, I think wood, just because I'd never be anal enough to wipe the fingerprints off the metal ones.
 #88489  by tcsned
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:58 am
Both are cool but I think I like the wood knobs better. There's so much shiny stuff on the guitar with the bridge/tailpiece hardware and the 5 toggle switches that the wood breaks it up a bit. Kinda makes a nice color palette with the copper pickup ring too - it makes the ring look more prominent. I think the ring is the coolest piece of metal on the guitar and should stand out IMHO.
 #88490  by strumminsix
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:59 am
My eyes ignore the metal knobs and look at the body.
Conversely, my eyes are attracted to the wood knobs and not the body.
 #88491  by Emoto
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:26 am
Vic, that looks fantastic!!! Will be interested in hearing what it sounds like and your impressions of how it plays.
 #88493  by waldo041
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 am
those metal knobs compliment that guitar perfectly! the wood knobs are cool, but the metal knobs are way cooler! 8)

peace,
waldo
 #88495  by rkubik
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:18 am
WOW very cool indeed. I am generally not a fan of the spalted but with the custom pick-up guard and everything else it really looks sharp. That is really something you can be proud of. Congrats hope you have many long years of playing ahead with that beauty.
 #88497  by hogan
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 am
 #88499  by drewfx
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 am
Wow! That looks absolutely incredible in every way.

Personally I prefer the metal knobs, but either are fine.
 #88503  by jackr
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:43 am
The metal knobs look great and I like the contrast. I also think that practically speaking they may be better as you can always replace them easily. Wood are replaceable too just not as easily especially because it would take a lot of thought to get just the right match of wooden knobs. Not that that really is a problem as I see a lot of thought went into every aspect of this instruments.

There are very very few things I would have done differently with this guitar. The first thing I would have done differently is that the whole thing is set up backwards. The knobs and the neck are on the wrong side of the body! LOL. I have tried to play lefty and I am worse then a beginner. (anyone else ever try?)

Seriously, tell me about the strap buttons? Did you consider recessing them? Are they strap locks?
 #88520  by tcsned
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 pm
ok, looks like I'm outnumbered on the knob question :oops:

. . . I still like the wood knobs.
 #88522  by Emoto
 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 pm
tcsned wrote:ok, looks like I'm outnumbered on the knob question :oops:

. . . I still like the wood knobs.
Nah, I like the contrast of the dark knobs. :-)