Chat about Equipment Info
 #87536  by Rusty the Scoob

That's $6 to ship 6 picks. :shock: $3/pick total. I guess that's reasonable if you're in a bind... they do sound a little tiny bit brighter than the 2.0mm Gator Grip ones I buy from GC for like $2.50 for 12 picks.
 #87538  by Billbbill

I bought a bunch of the real deal directly from dulop about 3 or 4 months ago - at the time they were selling all they could produce from the materials they had left - don't know if they ran out yet but I'd give that a shot first. Don't have the number handy but should be easy enough to find.

I know - I was surprised they were still selling them as well. :shock:

Otherwise the 2mm graphite Gator Grips from Dunlop are a decent sub.
 #87540  by Pete B.

With regard to 2mm picks... Anybody else using Dunlop .208's?
I like the feel of those.
 #87541  by tcsned

I found a couple of bags of the old Adamas picks in my stuff when I was searching for a guitar part. I thought is said a dozen picks - though that's even outrageous shipping for a dozen picks that weigh almost nothing. I'm sure if Telefunken is making them then someone who isn't a eBay shipping profiteer is selling them.

I don't use the Adamas picks much anymore - I've been using Wegen 2.5 picks lately.
 #87542  by Billbbill

Well for anyone interested they're still selling 1 dozen bags of the Adamas picks for about $16 + shipping.

#87559  by Scarlet

Rusty the Scoob wrote:That's $6 to ship 6 picks.
Ha! I ordered a scratchplate for my Strat from Warmoth earlier this year. Cost of scratchplate - $23. Cost to post it to England where I live - $60!!!! That's a plastic scratchplate, which weighs nothing & is the same size to post as a magazine.
I got my friend in NYC to order it instead. When it arrived at his house he then posted it to me for $6.
 #87569  by Rusty the Scoob

:shock: Warmoth seems like such a nice company. Very cool and helpful when I ordered my neck and some hardware, and they even contacted me about the adjustable nut I got from Germany.

Hard to believe they'd screw you that badly on purpose... do they have to pay duty or taxes on overseas shipments or something?
 #87579  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I talked to Tony at Telefunken and also Mike Gordon about these graphite picks on eBay. These are true and accurate clones of the Adamas graphite picks. Only the graphics have changed. Looks like Jerry-pick scarcity is no longer an issue.

And I do have to disagree a bit with the comments about the 2mm gator grip picks being a good substitute. While they feel similar, have a similar shape, and have a real nice feel and grip, the resonant tone they make when they strike the string is different, and even more significantly, the upper harmonic content that comes from the light brushing of the pick across the strings is very different in the Gator compared to the Graphite version. There's something to the graphite composite material that kind of adds a zing, almost like a bow on strings, that allows for a very delicate touch of the strings while bringing out a very clear high frequency, bell-tone type ring. The plastic Gators simply don't do this, even with the textured surface, and they sound more mellow and jazz-pick-like. I notice this mostly on very high notes on the unwound strings. The plastic Gator grip has a much harder time bringing out the highs, while the Graphite Adamas style takes little to no effort to excite the strings and give a very clear note. In fact, the lighter you pick, the brighter the response. I think this is part of Jerry's ability to play very fast and light and clean and get all that "note" out of the strings.

Word has it, before Jerry moved to the Adamas graphite 2mm pick, he used a Fender extra-heavy. I wonder when Jer' made the switch.

Brad
 #87583  by Billbbill

Yes rr I stand corrected re the gg material - they call it plectra - fancy word for plastic? - but they (dunlop) do contend it has a beveled edge.

Damn Brad, now that's some 'pick' nuance!
 #87590  by playingdead

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that zing ...

Seriously, I was skeptic until I tried the real thing, I won't play without them now.
 #87593  by JonnyBoy

Never understood why Dunlop would stop selling those. They are some awesome picks. I did a side by side and the difference between the gator and Adamas both 2.0mm. while really digging in and playing riffs is borderline, really not different at all. For light strumming or dynamic rhythmic playing, there is an audible difference. Its a little more semi metallic sounding i guess, and it seems to glide across the strings easier or have less friction. But my ears are not spring chickens and are not evaluated by the FDA to be true tests of sound.
 #87595  by Chuckles

playingdead wrote:It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that zing ...

Seriously, I was skeptic until I tried the real thing, I won't play without them now.
^^^^ Yeah, that.

I seem to recall making a snarky comment here at one point about how much difference it really makes... then Gregg sent me one and I've never used anything else since.
 #87619  by jmfranc

Billbbill wrote:Well for anyone interested they're still selling 1 dozen bags of the Adamas picks for about $16 + shipping.

Just ordered two dozen - $40 shipped ($1.60 a pick)