Chat about Equipment Info
 #68902  by Tennessee Jedi

Pete B. wrote:Oy Vey...
I just committed to picking this amp up tomorrow (we're meeting halfway between Seattle/Portland).
The guy confimed that this amp has a pre-amp tap and a switch to run the pre-amp out with or without power to the speaker outputs.
What to Sell... what to sell...
:smile:
:D
 #68950  by tigerstrat

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Pete B. wrote:Oy Vey...
I just committed to picking this amp up tomorrow (we're meeting halfway between Seattle/Portland).
The guy confimed that this amp has a pre-amp tap and a switch to run the pre-amp out with or without power to the speaker outputs.
What to Sell... what to sell...
:smile:
:D
You're saying he should unload his Mu-Tron? Probably the last thing he wants to sell... Pete, you've got a lot of amps at this point it seems to me. Well done on the DSR though, now we can gig out with nearly matching rigs!
 #68991  by Pete B.

O.K. so I picked that bad boy up and only had to drive 222 miles, round trip (the seller probably had to drive about the same).
The thing seems to be O.K., but still has the original 2-prong plug.
I will take it to my guy to have that replaced and a general bill of health check up. Since he just did a Waldo Pre-amp mod on another amp, I may have him upgrade the existing pre-amp-tap to Jerry-spec.
This thing sounds pretty kill as is!

I've got a bunch of bullshite I can list on craigslist to cover it.
Or... I can just not buy any beer/wine/weed/concert-tix for a month or two?!!

Does this look right?
 #69046  by strumminsix

Does she sound a bit stiff? It looks like she's still got those suppression caps and resistors over the powertubes and the original lead dress.
You may wanna ask your tech about this. It's a fast job, should cost very little, and what 90% of techs call "blackfacing" when it really isn't.
Basically CBS changed the lead dress so there was this parasitic oscillation happening and they solved it with those suppression caps & resistors.
 #69049  by Pete B.

strumminsix wrote:Does she sound a bit stiff? It looks like she's still got those suppression caps and resistors over the powertubes and the original lead dress.
You may wanna ask your tech about this. It's a fast job, should cost very little, and what 90% of techs call "blackfacing" when it really isn't.
Basically CBS changed the lead dress so there was this parasitic oscillation happening and they solved it with those suppression caps & resistors.
I will have it checked out. I have only messed around at low volume so far.
When people say "Blackfacing" I always think that they mean they mod it so it "breaks-up at a lower volume"... where-as I am a "clean to the top" player, on both Pedal Steel and Guitar.
Using the pre-amp-tap. it starts to break up around 7.5 (7 sounds pretty sweet)... the 9-10 range is kinda too distort-o for me.
I will also have him put in the "click-in/out" pot to remove the Tremelo circuit from the primary signal path.
fwiw, this amp has a great sounding Tremelo circuit.

Anyone want to buy a nice Alembic F2B?
(I will list later this week in Garage Sale section).
 #69051  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Does she sound a bit stiff? It looks like she's still got those suppression caps and resistors over the powertubes and the original lead dress.
I will have it checked out. I have only messed around at low volume so far.
When people say "Blackfacing" I always think that they mean they mod it so it "breaks-up at a lower volume"... where-as I am a "clean to the top" player, on both Pedal Steel and Guitar.
Using the pre-amp-tap. it starts to break up around 7.5 (7 sounds pretty sweet)... the 9-10 range is kinda too distort-o for me.
I will also have him put in the "click-in/out" pot to remove the Tremelo circuit from the primary signal path.
fwiw, this amp has a great sounding Tremelo circuit.

Anyone want to buy a nice Alembic F2B?
(I will list later this week in Garage Sale section).
BF'ing will get you 100 different answers depending on who you ask. The purist will say it brings everything back to PRE-CBS AB763 spec.

I am not a purist.

However, when I got my 68 (with aluminum trim), I brought it to my tech and we talked it being a bit stiff and then I asked about BF'ing. He then explained to me about bringing it back 100% to pre-CBS but cautioned that with amp designs all changes have a waterfall impact, etc, etc. He then advised that the only thing really "wrong" with these amps is that CBS was doing such a poor job with the lead dress that the amps were getting this parasitic oscillation that kinda sounds like your ear is up to a sea shell (I knew this sound from my few RI's I returned) so instead of fixing the lead dress they put these suppression caps and resistors over the poweramp tubes which eliminated the P.O., gave it a smidge more headroom but also made them more stiff almost like cold poweramp tubes.

He removed those on my amp, cleaned up the lead dress and it was night and day better. It stayed clean up to about 6 with humbuckers. We then played with the bias a bit to get "my sound" and now about 6 she just is not clean anymore but not OD'ing. Somewhere just past pristine clean.

This is my strong recommendation, dude, for me it opened her up from what could sound like a SS amp to a perfectly tuned tube amp.
 #74004  by jdsmodulus

not really a gear sighting but I thought this could fit here...I became a "fan" of Hunter on my FB page. As if I needed to tell anyone that anways, today he posted that he comes here alot to jam on tunes. Personally I find this to be BS but I thought it was cool that "HE" mentioned Rukind. It probably wasnt him. :?
 #74757  by tigerstrat

jdsmodulus wrote:not really a gear sighting but I thought this could fit here...I became a "fan" of Hunter on my FB page. As if I needed to tell anyone that anways, today he posted that he comes here alot to jam on tunes. Personally I find this to be BS but I thought it was cool that "HE" mentioned Rukind. It probably wasnt him. :?
It probably IS him. After all , he was the founder of DeadNetCentral (thanks again RH!) . But you are right, this has nothing at all to do with gear.
 #74766  by tigerstrat

tigerstrat wrote:
jdsmodulus wrote:not really a gear sighting but I thought this could fit here...I became a "fan" of Hunter on my FB page. As if I needed to tell anyone that anways, today he posted that he comes here alot to jam on tunes. Personally I find this to be BS but I thought it was cool that "HE" mentioned Rukind. It probably wasnt him. :?
It probably IS him. After all , he was the founder of DeadNetCentral (thanks again RH!) . But you are right, this has nothing at all to do with gear.
How weird, you were right it's NOT him, but someone named Aaron. Maybe I'll start a FB page under the guise of the Dalai Llama!
 #74774  by jdsmodulus

I think Im almost done with FB it is stuff like this that makes it lame. You dont ever really know who your talking too!
 #95508  by hard truckers co

Hey guys.... Sorry this one slipped by and missed it the first time round.
Here is the skinny on the Decemberists....

The guitar player is Chris Funk. Cool cat. He indeed uses a hard truckers JG1
2x12 speaker cabinet. He has had it over a year and a half now and uses it live
and in the studio, including their last album that went number one on the charts.
The Decemberists management is Redlight Management which also works with Phish,
Hense the relationship to the hard truckers.

Definitely check them out if you have the chance. Great band.
Peace. Glenn
 #95515  by Gr8fulGreg

Back to the decemberist thing... they do a great row jimmy you can find it on youtube