Chat about Equipment Info
 #61411  by Naataanii

Any thoughts or reviews of this synth? :?:
 #61426  by Tennessee Jedi

Naataanii wrote:Any thoughts or reviews of this synth? :?:
No ... but I check ebay for 'em and someday I will bite the bullet ......
Anyone got one ?
:D
 #61578  by ELPManticore

I got one. Overall, I'd say its pretty good - comes with a lot of patches, and you can modify patches using 5 parameters (or so - I'm at work right now). I don't know if you know this, but you also need the GK3 pickup, which can be attached with or without modification to the guitar's body. I've heard that its easiest to take it to a tech to get it installed and set up, but I'm a DIY kind of guy so I did it myself - takes a while to get the PU height and GR-20 sensitivity set just right, but not that difficult if you've worked on guitars before/have the confidence to take it on. Overall, the tracking on the unit is pretty good, I haven't had a huge issue with missed notes, though they do occur. Can also be used as a MIDI controller to use with VST's on your computer. I'm happy with it, but I've never used another guitar synth, so I can't compare it to other options.

If you have any specific ?'s I can answer them..
 #61594  by Naataanii

are you blending any "Jerry" effects into it to get his tone if so what are you using?

JG
 #61690  by ELPManticore

Ummmm - to be honest, not really using this for Dead stuff - just sort of drawn out 'space' structures - and composing my own midi tracks (bass, drum, melody etc) using the different patches. Anyhow, it sounds good with reverb/delay and octave, but the Q-Tron/Mutron doesn't work so well. The envelope comming out of the GR-20 is pretty flat. (A more accurate term would be 'stepped' - the GR-20 does have different volumes based on your playing dynamics, but there only seeem to be a limited number of possible volume levels.) So the Q-tron ends up cylcing in even periods, sounds more like a Flanger/Auto wha. There are def. some flute, sax/horn sounds that come very close/if not idenitcal to what Jerry used. I am a huge fan on this sax patch - sounds very breathy.
 #65341  by Shlotzkin

I think they're great. Ive owned one for a few months now and never had a problem. It has tons of patches to play with. It basically turns your guitar into a super keyboard.